Epping to Thornleigh Third Track
The project involves the construction of six kilometres of new and upgraded track within the rail corridor between Epping and Thornleigh stations on the western side of the existing tracks.
The new (third) track will separate northbound freight from all-stops passenger train movements along the steep incline between Epping and Thornleigh. This will help provide additional capacity for northbound (interstate container) freight trains, particularly during the daytime when passenger trains currently have priority.
The key features of the project include:
- Construction of approximately six kilometres of new track on the western side of the existing track between Epping and Thornleigh
- An access upgrade to Cheltenham Station to make it compliant with the Disability Discrimination Act 1982. The new design will include construction of a small concourse (on the southern side of the existing overbridge) to allow space for ticketing facilities, two new lifts and stairs to provide access to the existing platforms.
- Modifications to the pedestrian underpass and commuter car park (retaining existing numbers of parking spaces) at Beecroft Station
- Construction of a new rail bridge crossing the M2 Motorway and Devlins Creek
- Extension of Pennant Hills Station concourse, including a new lift and stairs and modifications to Yarrara Road footpath and roadway, and a replacement footbridge south of the station
- Widening of a number of cuttings along the alignment to accommodate the new third track
- Modifications to existing services within the rail corridor and in some public areas.
The NSW Minister for Planning and Infrastructure approved the Epping to Thornleigh Third Track Project on 17 July 2013 under Part 5.1 of the Environmental Planning and Assessment Act 1979.
The approval follows the public exhibition of the Environmental Impact Statement late last year, consultation with the community and preparation of a Submissions Report in response to the 950 submissions received.
The approval is subject to a number of conditions (Conditions of Approval) that outline project control measures that must be undertaken to mitigate potential impacts on the environment and community. These Conditions of Approval, EIS and Submissions Report can all be viewed on the environment page.
The project is currently in construction and is expected to be completed in 2016.
For information on upcoming construction work and community engagement activities, visit our current works page.
The latest project news can be found in the Epping to Thornleigh Third Track Project update (pdf 1.6MB).
Operational Noise and Vibration Review (ONVR)
An Operational Noise and Vibration Review (ONVR) has been prepared to assess noise and vibration impacts that will arise from the operation of the new Epping to Thornleigh Third Track.
The ONVR can be viewed on the current works page.
Northern Sydney Freight Corridor Fact Sheet
The NSFC program delivers significant economic, environmental and train passenger benefits. A fact sheet has been prepared outlining these benefits.
The documents on this page do not comply with WCAG 2.0 accessibility requirements. If you are having trouble accessing information, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.