North Strathfield Rail Underpass
The North Strathfield Rail Underpass Project involves the construction of a rail underpass at North Strathfield, and a new aerial concourse at Concord West Station, including four new lifts and platform upgrades. The underpass and associated tracks will improve network reliability for freight and passenger trains by removing the need for freight trains to cross over the existing tracks on the Main North Line.
The key features of the project include:
- a new rail underpass for freight trains at North Strathfield
- new track to connect to the existing relief goods loop at North Strathfield
- 2.4 km of new track and upgrade of 850 m of existing track
- a new aerial concourse and the installation of four new lifts at Concord West station
- relocation of an existing Sydney Trains depot at North Strathfield Station
- associated civil and structural works
- provision of new rail systems, including overhead wire, high voltage, low voltage, communications and signalling
- utility relocations/protection.
The North Strathfield Rail Underpass Project will:
- enable additional paths (opportunities for freight travel) and reduce waiting times for freight trains
- increase reliability of both freight trains and passenger services
- remove the need for freight trains to cross lines at North Strathfield Junction which impacts passenger train services
- enable a 1,500 metre freight train to stand clear of the Main North Line so other trains can pass before entering the single track section towards Flemington.
A partnership between John Holland and Bouygues Travaux Publics Australia has been awarded an Alliance contract by the NSW Government to deliver the North Strathfield Rail Underpass Project. Major work started in March 2013.
The North Strathfield Rail Underpass Project was approved in October 2012. The Review of Environmental Factors and Submissions Report are available to download on the North Strathfield Rail Underpass Environment Page.
The project is currently in construction and is expected to be completed in 2015.
Operational Noise and Vibration Management Plan
The Operational Noise and Vibration Management Plan (ONVMP) prepared to assess noise and vibration impacts that will arise from the operation of the new North Strathfield Rail Underpass has been approved by Transport for NSW.
The plan includes measures to reduce the noise and vibration impacts of the project including noise barriers and at-property treatment.
The approved ONVMP can be viewed on the current works page.
Urban design and landscaping consultation
Revegetation and design plans for the North Strathfield Rail Underpass have been approved by Transport for NSW. Thank you to everyone who provided feedback on the project’s Urban Design and Landscaping Plan (UDLP).
The approved UDLP can be viewed on the current works page.
Northern Sydney Freight Corridor fact sheet
The NSFC program delivers significant economic, environmental and train passenger benefits. A fact sheet has been prepared outlining these benefits.