North Strathfield Rail Underpass
The North Strathfield Rail Underpass Project involves the construction of a rail underpass at North Strathfield, platform upgrades and a new aerial concourse at Concord West Station, including four new lifts. The underpass and associated tracks will improve network reliability for freight and passenger trains by removing the need for freight trains to cross over the existing tracks on the Main North Line.
The key features of the project include:
- a new rail underpass for freight trains at North Strathfield
- new track to connect to the existing relief goods loop at North Strathfield
- 2.4 km of new track and upgrade of 850 m of existing track
- a new aerial concourse and the installation of four new lifts at Concord West station.
- relocation of an existing RailCorp depot at North Strathfield Station
- associated civil and structural works
- provision of new rail systems, including overhead wire, high voltage, low voltage, communications and signalling
- utility relocations/protection.
The North Strathfield Rail Underpass Project will:
- enable additional paths (opportunities for freight travel) and reduce waiting times for freight trains
- increase reliability of both freight trains and passenger services.
- remove the need for freight trains to cross lines at North Strathfield Junction which impacts passenger train services.
- enable a 1,500 metre freight train to stand clear of the Main North Line so other trains can pass before entering the single track section towards Flemington.
A partnership between John Holland and Bouygues Travaux Publics Australia has been awarded an Alliance contract by the NSW Government to deliver the North Strathfield Rail Underpass project. Major work started in March 2013.
Urban design and landscaping consultation
Thank you to everyone who provided feedback on the project’s Urban Design and Landscaping Plan (UDLP). Comments and suggestions will be assessed and addressed and feedback provided to the community.
Northern Sydney Freight Corridor fact sheet
The NSFC program delivers significant economic, environmental and train passenger benefits. A fact sheet has been prepared outlining these benefits.