Green Light Day
Give your transport and logistics career the green light
Green Light Day is an awareness initiative for students in years 10-12 to highlight the range of careers available in the transport and logistics industry.
In NSW, more than 500,000 people, almost 14 per cent of the workforce, are employed in the transport and logistics industry.
With population and freight volumes growing, the demand for skilled transport and logistics workers will increase.
Green Light Day 2016
On 29 July 2016, 120 students from across Western Sydney visited one of three locations to get a first-hand look at roles including logistics managers, freight loaders, forklift operators, and train and truck drivers.
The students received practical careers advice from people working in the industry and from TAFE NSW, and also had the opportunity to:
- Take a behind the scenes look one of NSW’s largest freight cargo planes, the C130, loading freight at Richmond’s Royal Australian Air force (RAAF) base
- Discover the Woolworths’ Sydney Regional Distribution Centre at Minchinbury that services over 190 NSW Woolworths stores
- View shipping containers moved from road to rail (and vice versa) at the Sydney Intermodal Terminal, Chullora (Pacific National).
Green Light Day was made possible through the generous support of the following organisations:>
- NSW Department of Education
- Pacific National
- Woolworths Limited
- Royal Australian Air Force
- Transport and Logistics Industry Skills Council
- TAFE NSW
Caption: Students from Windsor High School get a pilot’s view of a C130 Hercules Aircraft at the RAAF Base, Richmond.
Caption: Student from St Andrews College tour the Woolworths Sydney Distribution Centre at Minchinbury.
Caption: Bass Hill High School students read about career paths for the transport and logistics industry, at the Pacific National Sydney Intermodal Terminal, Chullora.
- About us
- Annual reports
- Community engagement
- Contracts awarded
- Corporate Plans
- Doing business with us
- Environment and sustainability
- GIPA - Access to TfNSW information
- Learner Log Book Innovation
- National Transport Reforms
- Organisational development
- Smart Innovation Centre
- Transport agencies
- Transport planner resources
- Trip planning
- Media Centre
- Contact us