Applying for a bus and coach driver authority

All drivers of public passenger bus, motorcycle and 4-wheel drive tour vehicles must be authorised under the Passenger Transport Act 1990.

To drive a public passenger bus, a driver must:

Bus driver training courses are available through BusNSW Link to external site.

Driver Authority applicants who successfully complete this course will be provided with an Evidence of Training Certificate, which can be used to support their application claim.

For further information please contact Roads and Maritime Services or your nearest office of Transport for NSW listed below or use the feedback form Link to external site.

Roads and Maritime Services - Public Passenger Services 

  • Sydney (Parramatta) – Ph: (02) 9689 8829 or Toll free:1800 227 774 

Transport for NSW 

  • Newcastle – Ph (02) 4929 7006 or Toll free: 1800 049 983 
  • Wollongong – Ph: (02) 8265 6600 or Toll free: 1800 049 961 

Related links

Alternate forms