Applying for a bus and coach driver authority
All drivers of public passenger bus, motorcycle and 4-wheel drive tour vehicles must be authorised under the Passenger Transport Act 1990.
To drive a public passenger bus, a driver must:
Hold an appropriate NSW driver licence enabling them to drive the specified size and weight of vehicle, for which they are seeking authorisation.
- Have read and understood the conditions and procedures as outlined in the:
- Have completed and signed the Application for an Authority to Drive Bus or Tourist Vehicle (Motorcycle or 4WD) (pdf 1.6MB) and attached all of the documents requested.
- Have had a medical practitioner complete a Medical Assessment Public Passenger Vehicle Driver Form (pdf 807KB).
- If a further medical referral is required, have had a medical specialist complete a Medical Specialist Assessment Report Form (pdf 336KB).
- Have satisfied the Director General of Transport for NSW that they:
- are of good repute and in all other respects a fit and proper person to be the driver of a public passenger vehicle, and
- have sufficient responsibility and aptitude to drive a public passenger vehicle in accordance with law and custom.
Bus driver training courses are available through BusNSW .
Driver Authority applicants who successfully complete this course will be provided with an Evidence of Training Certificate (pdf 11KB), which can be used to support their application claim.
For further information please contact Roads and Maritime Services or your nearest office of Transport for NSW listed below or use the feedback form .
Roads and Maritime Services - Public Passenger Services
- Sydney (Parramatta) – Ph: (02) 9689 8829 or Toll free:1800 227 774
Transport for NSW
- Newcastle – Ph (02) 4929 7006 or Toll free: 1800 049 983
- Wollongong – Ph: (02) 8265 6600 or Toll free: 1800 049 961
- Application to renew a driver authority (pdf 229KB)
- Application for replacement driver authority (pdf 192KB)
- Mutual recognition of drivers
- Proving your identity
- Notification of change of address form (pdf 77KB)
- About us
- Bus & coach driver
- Hire car or tourist vehicle driver
- Live traffic information
- My Records
- Parking space levy
- Online services
- Taxi driver
- Media Centre
- Contact us