The Opal card: Transforming the way we move around
- Opal Card retailers
- Fare information
- Frequently Asked Questions
- How do I top up my Opal card
- Progressive rollout
New electronic ticketing system
The Opal card will provide an easy, convenient and fast new way of travelling on the public transport network in Sydney, the Blue Mountains, Central Coast, Hunter, Illawarra and Southern Highlands.
It is a smartcard similar in size to a credit card that will allow you to pay for your travel on ferries, trains, buses and light rail.
Instead of buying a paper ticket you load value onto your Opal card via a range of convenient options.
Customers using the Opal card will tap on at a card reader at the start of their trip and tap off at the end. The electronic ticketing system will automatically calculate the fare and deduct it from the value stored on your Opal card.
No more queuing for tickets and only pay for the travel you use.
The Opal card is being progressively rolled out across public transport in Sydney, the Blue Mountains, Central Coast, Hunter, Illawarra and Southern Highlands.
The Opal card has now been fully implemented for all Sydney Ferries services, Sydney Trains and NSW TrainLink Intercity services.
The Opal card customer trial commenced on bus routes 594-594H and bus route 333 on 30 September 2013. The customer trial has now been extended to include all buses operating in the Mount Kuring-Gai Transdev bus network.
Your Opal card can be used on the following:
- All Sydney Trains & NSW TrainLink Intercity services
- All Sydney Ferries
Customer trial for buses
The Opal card bus customer trial is expanding. The bus routes currently covered are:
- Bus routes 556 to 599 in the Mount Kuring-Gai Transdev bus network
- Bus route 333 North Bondi to Circular Quay
View a list of Opal enabled bus routes.
The Opal card customer trial is now on selected bus services.
Opal card benefits
The easiest way to make sure you always have value on your card when travelling is to set up auto top up.
Link your Opal card to a credit/debit card and when the balance falls below $10 your Opal card will automatically top up so you’re ready to travel.
The Opal card is introducing a new era of convenience and provides the following fare incentives:
- A reward providing free travel after eight paid journeys in a week*
- A $2.50 daily cap on Sunday
- A daily cap of $15.00 from Monday to Saturday
* The Opal week runs from Monday to Sunday for the purpose of fare calculation.
The full details on fares for the Opal card will be released as the implementation progresses.
- Media release 14 April 2014
- Media release 11 April 2014
- Media release 8 April 2014
- Media release 6 April 2014
- Media release 4 April 2014
- Media release 12 December 2013
- Media release 2 December 2013
- Media release 21 November 2013
- Media release 15 November 2013
- About us
- Media Centre
- Contact us