Environment and sustainability
Transport Environment and Sustainability Policy
Transport for NSW aims to provide a world class sustainable transport system that meets our customer expectations and optimises the economic development of NSW.
We deliver transport services, projects, operations and programs which balance economic, environmental and social factors to ensure a sustainable transport system for NSW. In doing this we are committed to managing our impacts on the environment and operating in an environmentally sustainable manner.
Transport Environment and Sustainability Policy Framework
Transport for NSW with RailCorp, Roads and Maritime Services and the State Transit Authority has developed the Transport Environment and Sustainability Policy Framework (pdf 837KB) to realise our environment and sustainability commitment. It addresses environmental issues at all levels of planning, policy development and project delivery – leading to better environmental sustainability outcomes and reduced environmental impacts across our cities, towns and suburbs.
The Transport Environment and Sustainability Policy Statement
Download and view the Transport Environment and Sustainability Policy Statement (pdf 59KB).
Our Sustainability Definition focuses on conserving and enhancing air, water, soils, energy, resources and other aspects in the environment needed for biodiversity and our communities.
The Sustainability Guiding Principles sit behind the selection of our indicators to measure performance and initiatives and actions to deliver improved performance.
Environment and Sustainability Themes detailing specific outcomes and objectives are outlined below.
To use Transport’s energy sources more efficiently and reduce its greenhouse gas emissions
- Reduced energy consumption
- Reduced greenhouse gas emissions
To minimise air, noise, water and pollution from Transport’s operations and construction
- Reduced pollution (air, noise, land and water)
Climate change resilience
To plan and deliver transport infrastructure and operations that are resilient to the effects of climate change
- Transport infrastructure and operation that is resilient to the effects of climate change
To reduce water consumption in Transport’s operations, maintenance, construction and management
- Reduced waste generation
- Reduced resource consumption
To mitigate transport impacts on biodiversity
- Transport which conserves and enhances biodiversity
To mitigate transport impacts on heritage
- Transport which conserves and enhances heritage
To improve community experience through the delivery of transport which is integrated with surrounding land use activities
- Transport which is integrated with surrounding land-use activities
- Improved community experience with transport
To establish governance arrangements for Transport which support resources efficiency and continuous improvement in environment and sustainability performance
- Governance arrangements that support continuous improvement of sustainability performance
Environment and Sustainability Indicators and Targets have been set for those things Transport for NSW has control of – that is environment and sustainability outcomes associated with planning, designing, building and operating transport infrastructure and its corporate operations. These will be reported publicly along with the Transport Environment and Sustainability Action Plan, which captures activity based measures that help to minimise the impact of transport on the environment.
Transport for NSW, RailCorp, Roads and Maritime Services and the State Transit Authority will individually and collectively use the Framework to minimise their impact on the environment.
Alignment with broader Government objectives
Our approach current NSW Government policy objectives:
- Is informed by NSW 2021 the NSW Government’s 10 year plan to make NSW number one, which clearly establishes Government’s focus to deliver a sustainable, integrated and customer-focused transport system.
- Reflects the New South Wales Long Term Transport Master Plan, Transport for NSW’s comprehensive and integrated strategy for all modes of transport.
- Will support Connections, Transport for NSW Corporate Plan 2012-2017, in ensuring that the impact of Transport on the environment is minimised.
- About us
- Annual reports
- Community engagement
- Contracts awarded
- Corporate Plans
- Doing business with us
- Environment and sustainability
- GIPA - Access to TfNSW information
- National Transport Reforms
- Organisational development
- Smart Innovation Centre
- Transport agencies
- Transport planner resources
- Trip planning
- Culture and values
- Media Centre
- Contact us