Sustainability at Transport
We are committed to delivering transport services, projects, operations and programs in a manner that balances economic environmental and social issues to ensure a sustainable transport system for NSW.
There are a number of drivers for sustainability including:
- Office of Environment and Heritage (OEH) NSW Government Resource Efficiency Policy (G-REP)
- NSW Long Term Transport Masterplan
- Transport for NSW Environment and Sustainability Policy
- Transport Environment and Sustainability Policy Framework
- Infrastructure and Services Environment Statement of Commitment
We have also developed a number of tools specific to project delivery to assist staff, contractors and our industry partners to achieve Transport's sustainability policy objectives:
NSW Sustainable Design Guidelines Version 3.0
The NSW Sustainable Design Guidelines Version 3.0 introduce a range of sustainability outcomes initiatives to improve the sustainability performance of transport infrastructure and reinforce our ongoing commitment to sustainability.
- NSW Sustainable Design Guidelines Version 3.0 (pdf 6.1MB)
- NSW Sustainable Design Guideline Checklist Version 3.0 (xlsm 1.6MB)
Carbon Estimate and Reporting Tool
The Carbon Estimate and Reporting Tool (CERT) and guidelines have been designed to assist with the measurement and reporting of Greenhouse Gas (GHG) Emissions in line with our Sustainable Design Guidelines requirements. The CERT has been developed to provide consistency in GHG reporting and streamline the reporting process.
The CERT replaces the previous Transport for NSW Greenhouse Gas Inventory for Construction Projects, and should be used on all new projects ≥$15 million.
- CERT User Guide (pdf 9.9MB)
- CERT User Guide (Accessible version) (pdf 326KB)
- Carbon Estimate Reporting Tool (xlsm 1.7MB)
We encourage you to provide your feedback on the CERT and contact us if you need additional support firstname.lastname@example.org.
TfNSW Climate Risk Assessment Guidelines
We recognise that climate change poses a significant risk to our business, infrastructure assets, and the communities we serve. For that reason, we are committed to building climate resilience across our transport networks and projects.
The Climate Risk Assessment Guideline is developed to provide contractors and our stakeholders with support on how to complete a Climate Risk Assessment (CRA) in line with the latest Sustainable Design Guidelines (SDG) requirements.
NSW Sustainable Design Guidelines for Rail Version 2.0
The NSW Sustainable Design Guidelines for Rail Version 2.0 are only applicable to projects that are already underway and have Transport for NSW approval. All new projects announced after 1st September 2013 are to use the NSW Sustainable Design Guidelines Version 3.0.
- NSW Sustainable Design Guidelines for Rail Version 2.0 (pdf 1.65MB)
- NSW Sustainable Design Guidelines for Rail Version 2.0 Appendix D (pdf 382KB)
- NSW Sustainable Design Guidelines for Rail Version 2.0 Appendix E (pdf 98KB)
- NSW Sustainable Design Guidelines for Rail Version 2.0 Checklist (xlsm 1.1MB)
The documents and files on this page may not comply with WCAG 2.0. If you are having trouble accessing information in a document, please contact email@example.com.