Inner West Light Rail Extension
The Inner West Light Rail Extension is the first step in the NSW Government’s plans to extend light rail in Sydney. The 5.6 kilometre addition to Sydney’s light rail network runs along the former Rozelle freight rail corridor, adding nine new light rail stops between Lilyfield and Dulwich Hill.
NSW Premier Barry O’Farrell and Minister for Transport Gladys Berejiklian opened the Inner West Light Rail Extension on Thursday 27 March 2014, delivering on the NSW Government’s commitment to build new major transport projects for customers. Click here to read the full media release.
Although services have commenced, customers can expect to see some minor work continue around the stops to provide easier access.
For the latest information about construction activities at each site, please visit the Current works page.
Scope of works
The project included:
- a 5.6 kilometre extension of the light rail from Lilyfield to Dulwich Hill
- nine new light rail stops: Leichhardt North, Hawthorne, Marion, Taverners Hill, Lewisham West, Waratah Mills, Arlington, Dulwich Grove and Dulwich Hill
- procurement of 12 new light rail vehicles
- construction of three new sub-stations to supply power to the light rail vehicles
- installation of power, safety, communications and signalling systems
- real-time passenger information at the new and existing stops
- new access paths and facilities for changing between transport modes
- kiss and ride parking and dedicated accessible parking spaces
- measures to protect wildlife habitat and native vegetation along the rail corridor
- expansion of the existing light rail stabling facility in Pyrmont and construction of new stabling facilities at the former Rozelle Goods Yard.
The Inner West Light Rail Extension will:
- improve access to public transport and connections between where people live, work and visit
- provide new connections to surrounding shopping and entertainment districts such as the Sydney Fish Markets, Star City, Paddy’s Markets, Capitol Square and Leichhardt Marketplace
- allow passengers to easily change between light rail, bus and bicycle, as well as trains at Lewisham and Dulwich Hill
- enhance local access and amenity along the disused freight rail corridor
- encourage sustainable and healthy travel options.
Light rail maps
Please click on the links below for a map of Sydney’s light rail network and a detailed map showing the new Inner West Extension and the location of the nine new light rail stops.
- Sydney’s light rail network map (pdf 162KB)
- Inner West Light Rail Extension detailed route map (pdf 406KB)
- Leichhardt North light rail stop (pdf 2.5MB)
- Hawthorne light rail stop (pdf 5.6MB)
- Marion light rail stop (pdf 4.9MB)
- Taverners Hill light rail stop (pdf 2.5MB)
- Lewisham West light rail stop (pdf 2.5MB)
- Waratah Mills light rail stop (pdf 413KB)
- Arlington light rail stop (pdf 389KB)
- Dulwich Grove light rail stop (pdf 402KB)
- Dulwich Hill light rail stop (pdf 582KB)
These documents do not comply with WCAG 2.0. If you are having trouble accessing information in the document, please contact email@example.com.