Inner West Light Rail Extension
The Inner West Light Rail Extension is the first step in the NSW Government’s plans to extend light rail in Sydney. It will connect to the existing light rail service, which operates from Central to Lilyfield, and will run along the former Rozelle freight rail corridor, through the inner west to Dulwich Hill.
The extended service will begin operating in early 2014.
Major construction started in November 2012. All nine new stops are now under construction. For the latest information about construction activities at each site, please visit the Current works page.
Scope of works
The project includes:
- a 5.6 kilometre extension of the light rail from Lilyfield to Dulwich Hill
- nine new light rail stops: Leichhardt North, Hawthorne, Marion, Taverners Hill, Lewisham West, Waratah Mills, Arlington, Dulwich Grove and Dulwich Hill Interchange
- procurement of new light rail vehicles
- construction of two new sub-stations to supply power to the light rail vehicles
- installation of power, safety, communications and signalling systems
- real-time passenger information at the new and existing stops
- new access paths and facilities for changing between transport modes
- kiss and ride parking and dedicated accessible parking spaces
- measures to protect wildlife habitat and native vegetation along the rail corridor
- expansion of the existing light rail stabling facility in Pyrmont.
The Inner West Light Rail Extension will:
- improve access to public transport and connections between where people live, work and visit
- provide new connections to surrounding shopping and entertainment districts such as the Sydney Fish Markets, Star City, Paddy’s Markets, Capitol Square and Leichhardt Marketplace
- allow passengers to easily change between light rail, bus and bicycle, as well as trains at Lewisham and Dulwich Hill
- enhance local access and amenity along the disused freight rail corridor
- encourage sustainable and healthy travel options.
Please click on the link below for a map showing the location of each new stop on the Inner West Light Rail Extension.
Please click on the links below for detailed maps of each new stop. Each map includes the stop location, proposed features and proposed streetscapes works designed to ensure the stop is integrated with local area.
Please note, the information provided in these maps is indicative and subject to change.
- Leichhardt North (pdf 2.5MB)
- Hawthorne (pdf 2MB)
- Marion (pdf 1MB)
- Taverners Hill (pdf 1MB)
- Lewisham West (pdf 1MB)
- Waratah Mills (pdf 2.7MB)
- Arlington (pdf 1.18MB)
- Dulwich Grove (pdf 1.2MB)
- Dulwich Hill (pdf 2MB)
These documents do not comply with WCAG 2.0. If you are having trouble accessing information in the document, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.