NSW Road Safety Strategy
The strategy sets out what the current and emerging safety issues are for NSW road users.
The NSW Government is committed to improving road safety for the community with a plan to make our roads the safest in the country. The strategy sets the directions to achieve this objective in the next decade.
In late 2011 and the first half of 2012, the Centre for Road Safety started the development of a new NSW Road Safety Strategy. A series of sessions were held with stakeholders to build the strategy. This includes the NSW Road Safety Advisory Council and with the heavy vehicle industry.
The draft strategy was also released for public consultation in August 2012.
The strategy has been developed with the vision “Working Towards Vision Zero”. The strategy seeks to reduce the likelihood of crashing and reduce the severity if a crash occurs.
The NSW Government is committed to improving the safety of the community and has set a target to reduce annual fatalities and serious injuries by at least 30 per cent by 2021. Below are a number of highlights from the strategy to work towards these targets.
Key Highlights from the Strategy:
- Continuation and expansion of targeted safety works via the NSW Safer Roads program.
- Mainstreaming road safety across the design, construction and maintenace of the road network.
- Greater focus on addressing serious injury trends and post crash care and response.
- Greater involvement with Local Government.
- Increased focus on at risk road users including pedestrians, bicycle riders, motorcyclists, younger and older road users.
- Highlight the need for greater respect and improved interactions among road users.
- Continued enforcement of road rules to ensure compliant and safe road users.
- Promotion of safer vehicles and increased safety standards.
- Greater community involvement in road safety.
- Exploring road safety technologies to deliver reduce road trauma.
- Development of specific strategies to target key road user groups.
Download the Road Safety Strategy for NSW 2012 – 2021
Questions or feedback
The Centre for Road Safety within Transport for NSW welcomes continued community feedback to the strategy. If you feel there are additional issues that should be considered, please email your feedback to email@example.com
- About us
- Media Centre
- Contact us