The Opal card: Transforming the way we move around
Order an Opal card online or by calling Opal Customer Care: 13 67 25 (13 OPAL).
New electronic ticketing system
The Opal card will provide an easy, convenient and fast new way of travelling on the public transport network in Sydney, the Blue Mountains, Central Coast, Hunter, Illawarra and Southern Highlands.
It is a smartcard similar in size to a credit card that will allow you to pay for your travel on ferries, trains, buses and light rail.
Instead of buying a paper ticket you load value onto your Opal card via a range of convenient options.
Customers using the Opal card will tap on at a card reader at the start of their trip and tap off at the end. The electronic ticketing system will automatically calculate the fare and deduct it from the value stored on your Opal card.
No more queuing for tickets and only pay for the travel you use.
Ferries and Trains
You can now use your Opal card on the following:
- Sydney Ferries services
- City Circle train stations: Central, Town Hall, Wynyard, Circular Quay, St James and Museum
- Eastern Suburbs Line train stations: Bondi Junction, Edgecliff, Kings Cross, Martin Place, Town Hall and Central
- North Shore Line train stations: Chatswood, Artarmon, St Leonards, Wollstonecraft, Waverton, North Sydney and Milsons Point
Customer Trial for buses
The Opal card Customer Trial is now on selected bus services:
- Route 333 from North Bondi to Circular Quay
- Routes 594-594H from North Turramurra or Hornsby to the City
The rollout of the Opal card is planned to be complete across ferries, trains and buses by the end of 2014. Planning for light rail is in development.
Opal card benefits
The easiest way to make sure you always have value on your card when travelling is to set up auto top up.
Link your Opal card to a credit/debit card and when the balance falls below $10 your Opal card will automatically top up so you’re ready to travel.
The Opal card is introducing a new era of convenience and provides the following fare incentives:
- A reward providing free travel after eight paid journeys in a week*
- A $2.50 daily cap on Sunday
- A daily cap of $15.00 from Monday to Saturday
* The Opal week runs from Monday to Sunday for the purpose of fare calculation.
The full details on fares for the Opal card will be released as the implementation progresses.
Order an Opal card now by calling Opal Customer Care: 13 67 25 (13 OPAL).
- Progressive rollout
- How do I top up my Opal card?
- Fare information
- Frequently Asked Questions
- Media release 12 December 2013
- Media release 2 December 2013
- Media release 21 November 2013
- Media release 15 November 2013
- Media release - 26 September 2013
- Media release - 26 August 2013
- Media release - 12 August 2013
- Media release - 31 July 2013
- Media release - 10 July 2013
- Medial release - 14 June 2013
- Medial release - 2 June 2013
- Media release - 8 April 2013
- Media release - 25 March 2013
- Media release - 7 December 2012
- Media Release - 26 November 2012
- About us
- Accessible transport
- Bike riders
- Buses & coaches
- Hire car & tourist vehicles
- Light rail
- Community transport
- Opal card
- Road safety information
- School Student Transport Scheme
- Trip planning
- Media Centre
- Contact us