Hire car & tourist vehicles
Hire cars in New South Wales
The NSW hire car industry provides many opportunities for those who are interested in participating. You may want to drive a hire car, or own or operate a hire car . There is no legislative cap on hire car licences in NSW and licences are available on the open market and upon application from Transport for NSW.
Consumers expect hire cars to be luxurious and of high standard. Accordingly, applicants should take note of the 'Specifications for Private Hire Vehicles' attached to the Hire Car Operator Accreditation Package.
- Applying for hire car operator accreditation
- Facts Sheet 1 - Private Hire Vehicle: Specifications and Criteria for Private Hire Vehicles (pdf 62KB)
- Hire car licences
- MyRecords log in
- Public passenger vehicle compliance statisitcs
New Rules for Country Hire Cars from 21 August 2015
After careful consideration of all submissions received, changes to country hire car regulations came into force on 21 August 2015. Just over half of the respondents supported the changes (or called for even stronger measures), with the remainder opposing the changes.
As a result, the regulations are being introduced largely as set out in the consultation draft. They:
- Prohibit advertisements about the type of service provided
- Prohibit operators or drivers from accepting hirings within 30 minutes, with some exceptions.
- Require operators or drivers to maintain records of bookings.
Full details of these changes can be found at clauses 198A to 198F of the Passenger Transport Regulation 2007 on the Parliamentary Counsel’s website
The new regulations do not apply to hire cars licensed to operate in the Transport Districts or on the Central Coast and will expire on 20 August 2016.
Tourist vehicles in New South Wales
Transport for NSW is responsible for the regulation of four wheel drive and motorcycle tour operators and drivers and riders in NSW.
- Applying for 4WD tour operator accreditation
- Applying for motorcycle tour operator accreditation
- Applying for bus operator accreditation
- MyRecords log in
- About us
- Buses & coaches
- Community transport
- Concession information
- Hire car & tourist vehicles
- Marine Compliance Taskforce
- Regional air
- School student transport scheme
- Media Centre
- Contact us