Private hire vehicle driver responsibilities
Authorised hire car (private hire vehicle) drivers must comply with all relevant requirements of the Passenger Transport Regulation 2007. Some of these requirements are:
Private hire vehicle drivers must not:
- Tout or solicit for passengers or for a hiring.
- Ply, stand or park the vehicle for hire on any road (all hirings must be pre-booked).
- Move more than 3 metres from the private hire vehicle in the Sydney Airport precinct or at any other airport, without reasonable excuse, except when loading or unloading luggage.
- Smoke in the private hire vehicle at any time.
- Move the private hire vehicle while any door is open.
- Falsely advertise that they are authorised private hire vehicle drivers.
Private hire vehicle drivers must:
- Behave with civility and propriety towards intending passengers, passengers, other private hire vehicle drivers and authorised officers.
- Allow assistance animals or animals in training in their vehicle.
- Hand over driver licence and driver authority to an authorised officer when requested to do so.
- Tell an authorised officer about details of a hiring when requested to do so within the Sydney Airport precinct.
Last updated 16 May 2016
- About us
- Bus & coach driver
- Private hire or tourist vehicle driver
- Live traffic information
- My Records
- Parking space levy
- Taxi driver
- Media Centre
- Contact us