100 point check: Proving your identity

The following information is for PROFESSIONAL DRIVERS only.

Personal driver and rider licence proof of identity requirements can be found on the Roads and Maritime Services website.

To obtain a public passenger vehicle driver authority, operator accreditation or vehicle licence you must prove your identity, date of birth and residential address.

Transport for NSW uses the prescribed verification procedure (100) point check, pursuant to the Financial Transaction Reports Act 1988, for the purposes of obtaining an identification record for applicants.

You must establish your identity by providing documents certified as true copies of the original from the list below that add up to a minimum of 100 points. Originals may also be sighted by Transport for NSW staff.

If you have any difficulty in obtaining or providing these documents, you should contact Transport for NSW as soon as possible.

If none of your proof of identity documents shows your current address, you must produce one of the following documents showing your current address: a current Roads and Maritime Services (formerly RTA) issued certificate of registration, a contract of sale, lease agreement or rental document up to two years old.

If a document is not in English it must be accompanied by an official translation by either the Community Relations Commission For a Multicultural NSW or the Commonwealth Department of Immigration and Citizenship.

Document type and point value Document details

Primary documents

70 points


  • Birth certificate
  • Birth card issued by the New South Wales Registry of Births, Deaths and Marriages
  • Citizenship certificate
  • Current passport
  • Expired passport which has not been cancelled and was current within the preceding two years
  • Other document of identity having the same characteristics as a passport including diplomatic documents and some documents issued to refugees

Secondary documents

40 points

Document - Must have a photograph and a name

  • Driver licence issued by an Australian State or Territory
  • Roads and Maritime Services (formerly RTA) photo card
  • Licence or permit issued under a law of the Commonwealth, a State or Territory Government - (eg a boat licence)
  • Identification card issued to a public employee
  • Identification card issued by the Commonwealth, a State or Territory Government as evidence of the person's entitlement to a financial benefit
  • An identification card issued to a student at a tertiary education institution
35 points

Document - Must have name and address on

  • A document held by a cash dealer giving security over your property
  • A mortgage or other instrument of security held by a financial body
  • Council rates notice
  • Document from your current employer or previous employer within the last  two years
  • Land Titles Office record
  • Document from the Credit Reference Association of Australia
25 points

Document - Must have name and signature on

  • Marriage certificate (for maiden name only)
  • Credit card
  • Foreign driver licence
  • Medicare card (signature not required on Medicare card)
  • EFTPOS card
25 points

Document - Must have name and address on

  • Records of a public utility - phone, water, gas or electricity bill
  • Records of a financial institution
  • Electoral roll compiled by the Australian Electoral Commission and available for public scrutiny
  • A record held under a law other than a law relating to land titles
  • Lease/rent agreement
  • Rent receipt from a licensed real estate agent
25 points

Document - Must have name and date of birth on

  • Record of a primary, secondary or tertiary education institution attended by you within the last 10 years
  • Record of professional or trade association of which you are a member

List of persons who can provide certification of copies of documents

  • Bail Justice
  • Barrister
  • Commissioner for Affidavits
  • Commissioner for Declarations
  • Commissioner for Oaths
  • Judge
  • Justice of the Peace (must show registered number)
  • Medical Practitioner (registered under the Medical Practice Act 1992)
  • Minister of Religion authorised to celebrate marriages (but not merely a marriage celebrant)
  • Police Officer (of the rank of Sergeant or the highest ranking officer in the station)
  • Proclaimed bank manager
  • Sheriff
  • Solicitor