Applying for a taxi driver authority
How to become a taxi driver
- Information can be found on the Roads and Maritime Services (RMS) fact sheet - Point to Point Transport Taxi Driver
- Notification of Change of Address Form (pdf 77KB)
- Proving your identity
Applicants must meet certain criteria before a taxi driver authority can be issued by Roads and Maritime Services.
Please note: If you will be driving in the Sydney metropolitan area, you will need to provide proof of English competency. From 22 August 2016, new English assessment standards apply.
- Hold a NSW driver licence (fully unrestricted).
- Be medically fit (see application form for details).
- Provide proof of English language competency (for Sydney metropolitan area drivers).
From 22 August 2016, new English assessment standards apply.
Roads and Maritime has also expanded options for applicants to show evidence of English competency.
Please refer to the fact sheet Proof of English Competency for Taxi Drivers .
- Submit the completed and signed Application for an Authority to Drive Taxi-Cab , and attach all of the documents requested to RMS with a $45 payment (non-refundable).