South West Rail Link
The South West Rail Link is a NSW Government initiative to respond to issues of reliability and passenger growth on the metropolitan rail network and population growth in south-west Sydney.
The South West Rail Link includes a major upgrade of Glenfield Station and bus/rail interchange and a new twin track passenger rail line from Glenfield to Leppington via Edmondson Park. Construction of the South West Rail Link commenced at Glenfield in August 2009.
Scope of works
The South West Rail Link includes:
- a new 11.4-kilometre rail line from Glenfield to Leppington
- two new stations located at Edmondson Park and Leppington, including commuter car parking
- a train stabling facility at Rossmore
- an upgrade of the existing Glenfield Station and bus/rail interchange, including new commuter car parking
construction of Glenfield North and Glenfield South rail flyovers
The South West Rail Link will:
- provide essential infrastructure for the predicted future increases in population in Sydney's south-west, including the South West Growth Centre
- improve access to public transport for the people of south-west Sydney, providing a link to major employment centres including Liverpool, Parramatta and the Sydney CBD
- allow increased and more reliable train services
- provide increased commuter car parking spaces
- provide modern, safe and accessible stations and interchange facilities for rail commuters.
The new Glenfield Transport Interchange and Glenfield Station were opened to the community on Sunday 23 September 2012. Finishing works, including the installation of canopies at the Interchange, bus shelter, fencing, street furniture, footpath works and landscaping will continue until approximately April 2013. The Seddon Park car park and Glenfield multi-storey commuter car park are open and operational. Major construction of the Glenfield to Leppington Rail Line component commenced at the beginning of 2012 and works are on schedule for the commencement of revenue services in 2016.
Information on current construction activity is available for Glenfield Transport Interchange and Glenfield to Leppington Rail Line on the Current Works Page.
A map overview is available in the SWRL at a Glance (pdf 671KB).