Wynyard Station Upgrade
Transport for NSW is upgrading Wynyard Station to create a new gateway to Barangaroo and Sydney’s financial district.
New fixtures and finishes, a wider concourse and additional ticket gates, and less clutter on the concourse and platforms will improve customer experience and make it easier for customers to move in and around the station. Passenger services will be maintained throughout construction and Wynyard Station will remain open for business during the upgrade.
The new Wynyard Walk pedestrian link being constructed between Wynyard and Barangaroo South will increase the entry and exit capacity of the station to meet current and future demand.
Construction is underway at Wynyard Station to provide a lighter, brighter, cleaner station with increased capacity. More information about the project can be found in the latest Wynyard Station Upgrade newsletter Issue 3 - January 2016 (pdf 2.6MB).
Between April and July 2016 we will be progressively revealing more features of the new station layout, including new ticket gates, stairs and tiling, refurbished public toilets, new passenger information, ticket vending machines and Opal top up machines.
For information about construction activities at Wynyard Station please visit the current works page.
The Heritage Council of New South Wales is considering an application submitted by Transport for NSW regarding replacement of four timber-tread escalators and improvements to access and amenity of the York Street entry and lobby to the property known as Transport House. For more information about the application and how to have your say visit the environment page.
Wynyard Station Upgrade ‘NovoView’ smartphone app
See what Wynyard Station will look like once the upgrade is complete using NovoView, an interactive smartphone app that lets you see and experience the new station layout through augmented reality.
The NovoView app shows 360 degree views of the station that can be viewed from anywhere using your phone. This also includes the latest project information and updates.
- New fixtures and finishes, such as lighting, tiling and painting
- Widened paid concourse and additional ticket gates
- Reduced clutter on the concourse and platforms
- Upgraded existing and new platform stairs to improve pedestrian circulation and reduce queuing
- New wayfinding and signage to make it easier for customers to move in and around the Station
- Improving operational reliability through upgraded services and removal of redundant services
- Renovated back of house areas, including new and relocated Station Manager’s office.
Wynyard Station Upgrade will enhance customer comfort and safety and improve service efficiency. The project will achieve this by:
- Improving amenity to create a new gateway for Sydney’s financial district and western CBD
- Increasing capacity for future passenger demand and network growth, including the Barangaroo development and the North West Rail Link
- Improving pedestrian flow, making it easier for customers to move in and around the station
- Reducing clutter on the platforms, making it easier and safer to board and alight from trains and improving punctuality of services
- Improving connectivity between Pitt and George Streets through to the western CBD and waterfront.