Wynyard Walk provides a world class, fully accessible pedestrian link between Wynyard Station and the developing CBD western corridor and Barangaroo.
The walkway allows pedestrians to get from Wynyard transport hub to the Barangaroo waterfront in approximately six minutes, avoiding steep inclines and road crossings.
The project increases the entry and exit capacity of Wynyard Station to meet current and future demands for the CBD’s western corridor and waterfront. This includes catering for the Barangaroo development, which is expected to accommodate up to 23,000 office workers and attract up to 33,000 visitors per day, when complete.
The NSW Government is delivering major projects to reduce traffic congestion and improve public transport to, from and within the CBD. Visit the Tomorrow’s Sydney website for more information about other projects under construction in the CBD.
Key features of the project include:
- A new 3.5 metre high by 9 metre wide underground pedestrian link from Wynyard Station to the intersection of Kent and Napoleon Streets (approximately 180 metres long).
- A new paved pedestrian plaza at the intersection of Kent and Napoleon Streets that will include landscaping, street furniture and lighting.
- A pedestrian bridge over Sussex Street, with lifts and escalators connecting to the Barangaroo development.
- A new western entrance to Wynyard Station (Clarence Street portal) to provide direct access to Wynyard Walk, the Kent Street tunnel and the station concourse.
The project will:
- Accommodate the increase in demand for pedestrians travelling from Wynyard Station to the Barangaroo development
- Provide a safe and quick route for pedestrians to get from Wynyard Station to the city’s western waterfront
- Provide relief to the congested western corridor by separating pedestrian movements from bus, road and cycle routes
- Provide improved access for people with a disability, those who are older and people with strollers and luggage.
In September the Wynyard Walk tunnel between Wynyard Station and Barangaroo was opened.
Construction of a new pedestrian route between the corner of Kent Street and Margaret Streets and Sussex Street Bridge has been completed. The additional route includes stairs.
In early 2014, construction at the Western Portal was put on hold to allow archaeologists to work on the site to preserve significant European and indigenous artefacts unearthed during excavation.
The main construction contract for Wynyard Walk was awarded to CPB Contractors (formerly Thiess pty Ltd) in September 2012, and major work on the project started in late 2012.
Wynyard Walk Tunnel Opening
The Wynyard Walk tunnel opened on 20 September 2016 to coincide with the opening of the third commercial tower at Barangaroo South.
The Clarence Street Portal entrance is due to be complete late 2016.
Detailed information on construction activities, including project notifications can be found on the current works page.