Environment and Assesment - Sustainability
Sustainability at Transport
Transport for NSW (TfNSW) is committed to delivering transport services, projects, operations and programs in a manner that balances economic environmental and social issues to ensure a sustainable transport system for NSW. There are a number of drivers for sustainability at TfNSW including the:
- Office of Environment and Heritage (OEH) NSW Government Resource Efficiency Policy (G-REP)
- NSW Long Term Transport Masterplan
- Transport for NSW Environment and Sustainability Policy
- Transport Environment and Sustainability Policy Framework
- Infrastructure and Services Environment Statement of Commitment
TfNSW have also developed a number of tools specific to project delivery to assist projects in achieving TfNSW’s sustainability policy objectives, as outlined in the following sections.
NSW Sustainable Design Guidelines Version 3.0
The NSW Sustainable Design Guidelines Version 3.0 introduce a range of sustainability outcomes initiatives to improve the sustainability performance of transport infrastructure and reinforce Transport for NSW ongoing commitment to sustainability.
- NSW Sustainable Design Guidelines Version 3.0 (pdf 6.1MB)
- NSW Sustainable Design Guideline Checklist Version 3.0 (xlsm 1.6MB) (If MS Excel 2003 (xls) file is required, please email firstname.lastname@example.org)
Carbon Estimate and Reporting Tool
Transport for NSW’s Carbon Estimate and Reporting Tool (CERT) and accompanying guidelines have been designed to assist with the measurement and reporting of Greenhouse Gas (GHG) Emissions in line with Transport for NSW Sustainable Design Guidelines requirements. The CERT has been developed to provide consistency in GHG reporting and streamline and simplify the reporting process.
The CERT replaces the previous Transport for NSW Greenhouse Gas Inventory for Construction Projects, and should be used on all new projects ≥$15 million.
- CERT User Guide (pdf 9.9MB)
- CERT User Guide (Accessible version) (pdf 326KB)
- Carbon Estimate Reporting Tool (xlsm 1.7MB)
Transport for NSW welcomes feedback on the tool and encourages stakeholders to provide comment. Further support can be obtained by contacting email@example.com.
TfNSW Climate Risk Assessment Guidelines
Transport for NSW recognises that the impacts from climate change pose a significant risk to its business, infrastructure assets, and the communities it serves and is committed to building climate resilience across its network of current and future projects.
The Climate Risk Assessment Guideline is developed to provide contractors and other TfNSW stakeholders with support on how to complete a Climate Risk Assessment (CRA) in line with TfNSW’s latest Sustainable Design Guidelines (SDG) requirements.
NSW Sustainable Design Guidelines for Rail Version 2.0
The NSW Sustainable Design Guidelines for Rail Version 2.0 are only applicable to projects that are already underway and have Transport for NSW approval. All new projects announced after 1st September 2013 are to use the NSW Sustainable Design Guidelines Version 3.0.
- NSW Sustainable Design Guidelines for Rail Version 2.0 (pdf 1.65MB)
- NSW Sustainable Design Guidelines for Rail Version 2.0 Appendix D (pdf 382KB)
- NSW Sustainable Design Guidelines for Rail Version 2.0 Appendix E (pdf 98KB)
- NSW Sustainable Design Guidelines for Rail Version 2.0 Checklist (xlsm 1.1MB)