The NSW Government is delivering a New Intercity Fleet to replace the trains carrying customers from Sydney to the Central Coast, Newcastle, the Blue Mountains and the South Coast.
Benefits and features
The new double deck trains will give long distance customers a more comfortable travelling experience. The trains will be safe, comfortable, accessible and provide an appealing environment for customers during longer journeys with features including:
- Wider seats with arm rests and more space
- Charging stations for mobile devices for each seat
- Cup holders and tray tables
- Two by two seating on upper and lower levels
- Dedicated space for luggage, prams, bicycles and wheelchairs
- Accessible toilets
- Digital screens and announcements
- CCTV and passenger intercoms
- Modern air conditioning
The new trains will come into service progressively, with the first trains anticipated to be delivered in 2019.
The contract to build and maintain more than 500 new train carriages for the New Intercity Fleet has been awarded to RailConnect.