The North Strathfield Rail Underpass Project involves the construction of a rail underpass at North Strathfield, and a new aerial concourse at Concord West Station, including four new lifts and platform upgrades. The underpass and associated tracks will improve network reliability for freight and passenger trains by removing the need for freight trains to cross over the existing tracks on the Main North Line.
The key features of the project include:
- a new rail underpass for freight trains at North Strathfield
- new track to connect to the existing relief goods loop at North Strathfield
- 2.4 km of new track and upgrade of 850 m of existing track
- a new aerial concourse and the installation of four new lifts at Concord West station
- relocation of an existing Sydney Trains depot at North Strathfield Station
- associated civil and structural works
- provision of new rail systems, including overhead wire, high voltage, low voltage, communications and signalling
- utility relocations/protection.
View the North Strathfield Rail Underpass map (JPEG 100KB)
The North Strathfield Rail Underpass Project:
- enables additional paths (opportunities for freight travel) and reduce waiting times for freight trains
- increases reliability of both freight trains and passenger services
- removes the need for freight trains to cross lines at North Strathfield Junction which impacts passenger train services
- enables a 1,500 metre freight train to stand clear of the Main North Line so other trains can pass before entering the single track section towards Flemington.
The North Strathfield Rail Underpass Project was approved in October 2012. Major work was completed in June 2015.
The North Strathfield Rail Underpass Project was commissioned during the June long weekend and freight services have started using the new infrastructure.
Operational Noise and Vibration Management Plan
The Operational Noise and Vibration Management Plan (ONVMP), prepared to assess noise and vibration impacts from the operation of the North Strathfield Rail Underpass (NSRU) Project has been approved by Transport for NSW. Thank you to everyone who took the time to provide us with feedback on the ONVMP.
The plan was prepared by specialist acoustic and vibration consultants in consultation with the NSW Environment Protection Authority (EPA) and City of Canada Bay Council, and takes into account feedback received from the community since 2012.
Measures to mitigate operational noise impacts include:
- low density noise barriers will be installed along Queen Street, Concord West.
- at-property treatments offered to targeted properties
The approved ONVMP can be downloaded below:
The information on display at the ONVMP community information sessions can be downloaded below:
Urban design and landscape consultation
Revegetation and design plans for the North Strathfield Rail Underpass have been approved by Transport for NSW.
Thank you to everyone who participated in the consultation process since 2012.
The UDLP can be downloaded below:
Management of environmental issues on the North Strathfield Rail Underpass project is undertaken in the construction phase by the contractors responsible for each component of the project.
Environmental Compliance Report
Environmental Compliance Reports are completed every six months. The reports provide a record of compliance with the Construction Environmental Management Plan and the Transport for NSW Conditions of Approval.
Copies of these reports are available upon request. Please email firstname.lastname@example.org to request a copy.
The documents on this page do not comply with WCAG 2.0. If you are having trouble accessing information in a document, please contact email@example.com.