The following reference materials are provided solely and specifically for use on the transport network owned or managed by the NSW Government and its agencies. They are not suitable for any other purpose. You must not use or adapt it or rely upon it in any way unless you are authorised in writing to do so by a relevant NSW Government agency.
If this document forms part of a contract with, or is a condition of approval by a NSW Government agency, use of the document is subject to the terms of the contract or approval.
Signals and control systems
AMS Project Specifications
The following list provides some sources of information that may be of use in understanding and applying human factors, human factors integration and ergonomics. Some sources include various tools and techniques for conducting human factors evaluations.
This list of references and their corresponding links represent information that can be sourced publically via the internet and is not the intellectual property of Transport for New South Wales. Transport for New South Wales and the Asset Standards Authority accept no responsibility for the content of these links as they are the intellectual property rights of the respective website owners.
- AS 4292.1Railway Safety Management – Part 1: General Requirements
- Def Stan 00-250 (UK MoD) - Human Factors for designers of Systems
- Part 0: Human Factors Integration
- Part 1: Overarching People-Related Requirements
- Part 2: Particular People-Related Requirements
- Part 3: Technical Guidance
- Part 4: HFI Methods, Tools and Techniques
- ASTM E2530-07 (2013) - Standard Guide for Integration of Ergonomics/Human Factors into New Occupational Systems
- MILSTD1472G - (Department of Defence USA) - Design criteria standard: human engineering
- iESM - International Engineering Safety Management Handbook (revised version of Yellow Book)
- FAA HFDS - Human Factors Design Standard – For Acquisition of Commercial Off the Shelf Subsystems, Non-Developmental Items and Developmental Systems
- DOT/FRA/ORD-98/03 (US Federal Railroad Administration)
- HF Guidelines for Locomotive Cabs
- NUREG-0700 - (US Nuclear Regulatory Commission)Human-System Interface Design Review Guidelines
- Commonwealth of Australia - National Rail Safety Regulations 2011 – Schedule 1
- ONRSR - Guidance for Rail Resource Management
- RSSB - Understanding Human Factors: A guide for the railway industry
- RISSB - Enhancing Human Performance in Rail operations Guideline
- ONRSR - Preparation of a Rail Safety Management System Guideline
- AS 4801 - Occupational health and safety management systems – specification with guidance for use
- ISO 6385 - Ergonomic principles in the design of work systems
- SAA HB59 - Ergonomics – The human factor – A practical approach to work systems design (Note: Anthropometric data considered old not reflective of current Australian Population)