Case Studies and Research
Case studies to help inform great public spaces
We’ve collated case studies, research and community insights to share and build knowledge across local councils, state agencies and industry and will continue to add to these as programs progress. They aim to inspire more, better and activated quality public spaces.
The case studies are practical tools for capturing lessons learned and sharing insights gained through experience. The research and community insights build an evidence base to inform new thinking and tailored approaches in public space initiatives.
- Impact Report: Activating Streets and Centres across NSW (PDF, 7.39 MB) provides an overview of the outcomes of the programs delivered on the ground. The purpose is to highlight the impacts generated with councils and communities across NSW through these initiatives.
- Using behavioural insights to increase access to public libraries report: (PDF, 6.96 MB) A report that presents the findings from a cross-government collaboration project conducted in 2021.
- Places to Love case study – City of Sydney George Street demonstration project: (PDF, 8.73 MB) Trial to help transform a street into one of the world’s great boulevards.
- COVID Safe Public Spaces Guide case studies: (PDF, 3.92 MB) A collection of case studies demonstrating the different ways that councils and state government public space managers are working to support the community, helping us to stay active, connected, healthy and safe during and beyond the pandemic.
- Public Spaces: Streets as Shared Spaces Engagement Report (PDF, 4.13 MB): A 2020 community survey revealing insights into engagement with public spaces during the beginning of COVID-19.
- Public spaces during COVID-19 survey: adapting to the new normal (PDF, 3.6 MB): Refreshed community insights on the use and value of public spaces after COVID-19 restrictions had eased.
- Streets as Shared Spaces supporting case studies (PDF, 3.5 MB): A collection of case studies from councils across NSW that demonstrate the benefits of shared streetscapes and street activation.
- Your High Street support case studies (PDF, 811.61 KB): A selection of case studies that highlight the value of transforming high streets to become vibrant social and cultural hubs for the community.
Great Public Spaces Toolkit
The Great Public Spaces Toolkit is a collection of free resources to support local government, state agencies, industry and the community.