Contactless payments pass one million trips
More than one million public transport journeys across NSW have now been paid for by customers tapping on and off with a credit or debit card.
Commuters have embraced the option of using their plastic or payment-enabled mobile smart devices on train, ferry and light rail services across the Opal network.
Minister for Transport and Infrastructure Andrew Constance said there had been significant uptake in contactless payments since the trial extended to heavy rail.
“Fares purchased through contactless payments have grown strongly since the trial expanded to our city and regional train services in November,” Mr Constance said.
“Over the Christmas and New Year period contactless payments jumped by about 20 per cent a week. This convenient option is proving to be a real hit with tourists and visitors, with uptake at the airport stations twice that of other parts of the rail network.
“The one millionth contactless fare was made by a customer travelling between the domestic and international airports on Monday – 49 days after we expanded the trial to include our train network.
“NSW is the first state to offer a contactless payments innovation and this Government is excited to remain at the forefront of transport technology worldwide.”
CEO of the Tourism and Transport Forum Margy Osmond said contactless payments is an absolute winner from a tourism point of view.
“The modern traveller expects great public transport which is easy to use and convenient. Contactless is a fantastic option for foreign and domestic visitors to Sydney and encourages them to use our great public transport network and stay off the roads,” Ms Osmond said.
Minister Constance reaffirmed that the introduction of contactless payments was not about replacing the foundation of digital payments in NSW, the Opal system.
“Opal won’t be going anywhere and is still the most affordable way to pay fares, this trial is about our Government providing greater flexibility and convenience,” he said.