Sydney traffic and train impacts over the October long weekend
Travellers are advised to plan ahead and allow additional travel time with traffic changes and essential rail trackwork planned over the October long weekend.
Transport for NSW A/Coordinator General Grant Knoetze said closures and detours will be in place southbound on the Warringah Freeway and Sydney Harbour Bridge.
“The closures will include the Freeway’s southbound outer carriageway from Miller Street to Falcon Street, as well as the southbound Miller Street on-ramp, Military Road (Falcon Street) off-ramp and the Alfred Street off-ramp,” Mr Knoetze said.
“These changes will be in place from Friday night, 29 September to Tuesday morning, 3 October, with drivers urged to check the live traffic website for specific times.
“The Miller Street on-ramp will remain closed for the whole weekend, while the two off-ramps will be reopened during most parts of the day.
“Motorists travelling south along the Gore Hill Freeway or Lane Cove Tunnel are urged to use the Pacific Highway instead of the Warringah Freeway and must do so if they want to access lower North Shore suburbs, Mosman and Manly.
“Those needing to access the Sydney Harbour Bridge from Cammeray are advised to use the Falcon St on-ramp at North Sydney.
“Two southbound lanes on the Warringah Freeway outer carriageway will be reopened for most parts of the day, following overnight closures.”
Mr Knoetze said we are taking this opportunity to also carry out regular maintenance at the same time on the Sydney Harbour Bridge.
“Lane 6 and lane 7 (the bus lane) southbound on the bridge will be closed continuously from Friday night until early Tuesday morning, while lane 8 southbound on the Cahill Expressway will also have overnight closures,” he said.
“Motorists can continue to use the Sydney Harbour Tunnel and the open lanes on the Sydney Harbour Bridge during these closures.
“We encourage road users, including public transport passengers, travelling south along the Warringah Freeway towards the CBD or airport to allow extra travel time and to plan ahead.
“While those travelling to and from the inner west should be aware that part of the WestConnex network, including the M4 East, M8 and the M4-M8 Link, will be closed from 9pm Monday 2 October to 5am Tuesday.
“The extended works over the October long weekend have been planned to take advantage of reduced traffic demand, which minimises the impacts that would otherwise be experienced during a weekday road closure.”
Mr Knoetze said those travelling around Sydney this weekend are also reminded essential trackwork is being undertaken on the Bankstown train line.
“Buses will continue to replace trains between Lidcombe and Sydenham until Thursday 5 October,” he said.
“Trains will run to a changed timetable between Liverpool and the City via Regents Park, and between Sydenham and the City Circle, stopping at St Peters and Erskineville.
“Major event buses will not be impacted for passengers attending the NRL Grand Final at Olympic Park on Sunday, and we encourage those heading to the game to use public transport, which is included with your ticket.”
For more information on the T3 Bankstown line closure visit Alerts details | transportnsw.info.
For more information on the best way to travel to the game visit NRL & NRLW Grand Final | transportnsw.info
For more information on the road closures, visit the Live Traffic NSW App or livetraffic.com.
Public transport passengers are advised to visit transportnsw.info for the latest information.
Full road closure details:
Miller Street on-ramp will be closed:
• 10pm Friday 29 September to 4:30am Tuesday 3 October
Warringah Freeway southbound outer carriageway and Alfred Street North off-ramp will be closed:
• 10pm Friday 29 September to 8am Saturday 30 September
• 7pm Saturday 30 September to 9am Sunday 1 October.
• 4pm Sunday 1 October to 9am Monday 2 October
• 4pm Monday 2 October to 4:30am Tuesday 3 October
The Military Road (Falcon Street) off-ramp will be closed:
• 7pm Saturday 30 September to 9am Sunday 1 October
Sydney Harbour Bridge lane closures include:
• Lane 6 and lane 7 (bus lane) will be closed continuously from 11pm Friday 29 September to 4.30am Tuesday 3 October.
• Cahill Expressway (lane 8) will also be closed southbound across the Sydney Harbour Bridge and Circular Quay at the following times:
o 11.30pm Fri 29 Sep to 6am Sat 30 Sep
o 11.30pm Sat 30 Sep to 7am Sun 1 Oct
o 10pm Sun 1 Oct to 7am Mon 2 Oct
o 10pm Mon 2 Oct to 4.30am Tue 3 Oct
• During this time the on-ramp from High Street, Kirribilli will be closed, with a detour via Mount Street to access the bridge. Buses will use lane 5 at night.
• When lane 8 on the bridge is closed, motorists can access the Eastern Distributor via the Sydney Harbour Tunnel or Grosvenor Street, Bridge Street and Macquarie Street.
Westconnex closures on Monday 2 October to Tuesday 3 October include:
· M4 East - westbound 9pm-5am, eastbound 9pm-4am
· M8 - westbound 9pm-5am, eastbound 9pm-5am
· M4-M8 Link - northbound 9pm-5am, southbound 9pm-5am