Transport for NSW response to COVID-19 for the freight industry

The transport network is critical to keeping freight and other essential services running, ensuring goods and services are able to get to where they are needed most, including supermarkets and hospitals.

Working together with governments and across industry, Transport for NSW is supporting the continued operation of all parts of the supply chain within NSW and across borders during the Coronavirus outbreak.

The Freight Branch is embedded within Transport for NSW's dedicated Coronavirus Taskforce which is coordinating with the whole of Government response.

The Coronavirus situation is far from business as usual and we recognise and are working with industry to address challenges as they arise across the supply chain.

Road and Rail Freight

There is no restriction on interstate movement into NSW for rail and road transport. For road transport, this means that NSW permits travel for all light and heavy vehicles undertaking a commercial task or travelling to or from a commercial task such as employees travelling to or from work. 

Supermarkets can receive deliveries 24 hours a day and we continue to work with the National Heavy Vehicle Regulator (NHVR) to streamline schemes and permit access. Our heavy vehicle rest stops remain available to drivers and we continue to regularly service and restock these facilities. The NHVR has also published a map including commercial truck stop facilities.

A number of other states have introduced border restrictions – with exemptions for freight. Road operators should note that a number of gates between the NSW and Queensland border have been locked, with access permitted for freight via a gate code. To access these gates, make sure you plan your journey by visiting and view our Locked Gates factsheet (PDF, 172.25 KB).

What you should do

Check jurisdictional travel requirements before travelling interstate.

Operators in truck and train cabs are to maintain personal hygiene and physical distancing where possible. Self-isolation for heavy vehicle drivers including during fatigue rest breaks interstate should be practiced.

Please see our fact sheet (PDF, 307.01 KB) on the Gathering and Movement Order for road and rail operators for more information.

Air and sea freight

NSW ports and airports remain open for freight imports and exports and Australian Border Force advice supports vessels and aircraft arriving in Australian ports, subject to meeting specified criteria.

The Port Authority of New South Wales will continue to follow the advice set by Federal and State governments in relation to the entry of commercial vessels to the ports of NSW. Please note that Public Health (COVID-19 Maritime Quarantine) Order 2020 and Exemption to the Public Health Order (PDF, 272.37 KB) provide additional requirements for vessels entering NSW ports. See Transport for NSW Maritime Freight Factsheet (PDF, 116.4 KB) – Information for Maritime Freight on Coronavirus Public Health Order and Exemption.

For further information on the requirements for air travel please refer to the Public Health (COVID-19 Air Transportation Quarantine) Order 2020.

Information on the International Freight Assistance Mechanism for air freight agricultural and fisheries exports can be found on the Austrade and the websites.

Public Health Orders

The NSW Government has announced a number of restrictions on facilities and gatherings to help reduce the spread of Coronavirus. These public health orders are enforced under the Public Health Act 2010.

The (Public Health (COVID-19 Restrictions on Gathering and Movement) Order sets out the restrictions on individuals and businesses in relation to certain activities.

Part 2 and Part 4 set out restrictions on gatherings and obligations of owners or occupiers of premises. Essential Gatherings listed in Schedule 1 are exempt from many of the requirements of Parts 2 and 4. Schedule 1 Clause 2 states that a gathering for the purposes of or relating to transportation is an essential gathering and therefore the restrictions on gatherings in the Order do not apply.

Subscribe to regular updates or contact us

If you have any questions or would like to subscribe to updates please contact

NSW road freight links

The National Heavy Vehicle Regulator (NHVR) Coronavirus page
Information on the NHVR’s response to Coronavirus including information on state border restrictions and required entry border forms

The National Heavy Vehicle Regulator (NHVR) new online map
Online map of service centres, truck stops and roadhouses that remain open for heavy vehicle drivers

NSW road network maps and approved roads
Interactive maps are available for road freight transport vehicles, special purpose vehicles and load carrying vehicles

Driver licences
For information on the temporary deferral of NSW Fitness to Drive Medical Assessment for over 75’s

Heavy vehicle competency based assessment program
Information for driver and vehicle training, testing, inspections and certification

NSW rest area map
The online rest areas map provides information for heavy vehicle rest area locations for major roads across NSW

The information on this page was last updated on 19 May 2020.