NSW rail network
Rail freight services run on several networks in NSW:
- Country Regional Network (CRN) – owned by Transport for NSW and managed by our contracted infrastructure manager, John Holland Rail.
- NSW Interstate, Hunter Valley and Metropolitan Freight Networks – owned by Transport for NSW and leased to and managed by theAustralian Rail Track Corporation (ARTC).
- Metropolitan Passenger Network – owned by RailCorp and managed by Sydney Trains.
Private sector operators provide rail freight services and apply to the three network managers for access.
To meet the demand and ease congestion on our roads, rail must play a bigger role in the freight task.
We are working to:
- Preserve corridors with freight-only rail lines to meet long-term capacity needs
- Support the development of sustainable intermodal terminals in regional and metropolitan areas
- Improve connectivity between networks and key freight precincts
- Lift network productivity and efficiency through network enhancements and upgrades
- Increase rail performance through the Cargo Movement Coordination Centre.