Cancel your registration

Provided you’re the registered operator, you can cancel a vehicle’s registration at any time.

If you are wanting to cancel your vehicle's registration, you’ll need to go to a registry or service centre  in person, and provide:

  • Proof of your identity.
  • The Certificate of Registration for the vehicle, if possible.
  • A completed and signed Number plates and/or cancellation of registration form. Where a vehicle is registered in joint names only the primary (first) registered operator's signature is required.
  • The number plates, if possible:
    • If the plates are stolen, you must report the incident to the NSW Police Assistance Line on 131 444 and provide a Police Event Number
    • If the plates were handed in, in another state, provide the ‘surrendered number plate’ receipt issued by the interstate authority
    • Important: It is an offence to keep number plates if you cancel your vehicle’s registration. If you want to keep the plates, you need to put them in reserve at a registry or service centre. An annual reserve fee applies, plus any applicable annual plate fees.
  • If the vehicle has been written off or stolen and you want a refund backdated, an original letter from your insurer or police showing the date of the incident.
  • Payment for the cancellation fee.

Interstate residents

If you used to live in NSW but have moved interstate, or if you live interstate and purchased a NSW registered vehicle, you can apply for a refund after you transfer the NSW registration to your name. Note that the transfer fee and NSW stamp duty applies, and is not refundable.

Alternatively, you may register the vehicle in your name in your state first, before you apply for a NSW refund. In this case, NSW stamp duty will not apply if you show that you paid stamp duty in your state.

What you need to do - interstate residents ONLY

If you don't live in NSW, you don’t need to attend a registry or service centre in NSW – you can post your application to:

Manual Refunds
Government Rebates and Refunds
Transport for NSW
Locked Bag 14 DUBBO NSW 2830

You need to include the following documents:

  • A completed and signed Request for refund of NSW registration form. Where a vehicle is registered in joint names only the primary (first) registered operator's signature is required.
  • NSW number plates or a surrendered number plates receipt from the interstate authority.
  • A copy of a current interstate Certificate of Registration in your name. The certificate must show the stamp duty payment in your state, if the NSW registration was in a different name. Otherwise, NSW stamp duty will apply.
  • Proof of your identity. Copies are acceptable for a posted request.
  • Proof of your entitlement to register the vehicle. This document must show the purchase date and the vehicle’s market value (for example signed transfer details on the back of the NSW Certificate of Registration, or a receipt from the seller of the vehicle).

Note: Operators choosing to retain an existing National Heavy Vehicle number plate when registering a vehicle in another jurisdiction, are not required to provide a surrendered number plate receipt.

Refund of registration charges

You may be entitled to a refund of the unused portion of the motor vehicle tax. This includes pensioners in some circumstances. There is no refund of the registration fee or number plate fees.

Overseas refunds

You may provide your overseas address for your refund, if you cancel the registration to return or permanently reside overseas.