Non-compliant heavy vehicles

For information regarding exemptions applicable to non-compliant heavy vehicles, contact the National Heavy Vehicle Regulator (NHVR).

Transport for NSW is no longer responsible for approving heavy vehicle Special Purpose Vehicle (SPV) exemptions to vehicle standards, but works closely with customers and the NHVR, as a service provider to the NHVR, to assist in the NHVR's process. These vehicles can be registered as per Clauses 62 and 63 of the Road Transport (Vehicle Registration) Regulation 2017.

Transport for NSW retains responsibility for registration approval of non-compliant heavy vehicles in NSW. These include Class 1 Special Purpose Vehicles and vehicles designed to carry indivisible loads. It also includes dual steer for side loading garbage trucks and street sweepers, Rear Overhang (ROH) for rear loading compactor garbage truck and some other vehicles that carry out specialised functions. It does not include heavy vehicles that carry goods or agricultural vehicles.

To register a non-compliant SPV (eg oversized cranes, concrete pumps, pole borers etc, excluding goods carrying vehicles) you will need an NHVR Vehicle Standards Exemption Permit or Notice and a Roads and Maritime Certificate of Approved Operations, after your vehicle has been inspected by Roads and Maritime Services.

See Vehicle Standards Information sheet 46 (VSI 46) (PDF, 281.96 KB) for information on how to register non-compliant heavy vehicles.

Note that heavy vehicle registration and access to the NSW road network are not related if the vehicle is overmass. Oversize/overmass (OSOM) vehicles can be restricted access vehicles that need an access Permit or Notice.