Transfer your registration

Transferring the registration into your name

Once you’ve bought the vehicle, you’ll need to transfer it into your name within 14 days of it coming into your possession or management. If you do not, a late transfer surcharge may apply.

You can transfer registration online, or in person at a registry or service centre.


Note: You can’t transfer registration into an organisation’s name online. Please attend a registry or service centre in person.

To transfer registration online:

  • The previous registered operator of the vehicle (the seller) must have lodged a Notice of Disposal.
  • You need an online account. If you’re not already recorded on Transport for NSW (TfNSW) systems, you’ll need to attend a registry or service centre in person.
  • You must pay the transfer costs by credit card.

In person at a registry or service centre

To transfer registration in person, you’ll need to provide:

If you send someone else to transfer the registration to your name, you’ll need to complete the Representative’s Authority section on the Application for Registration. Your representative must also provide their own proof of identity

    • Important: If you’re not already recorded in TfNSW systems, you cannot send a representative – you must attend in person.
  • Proof of your entitlement to register the vehicle.
  • Payment for:
    • Transfer fee
    • Stamp duty (unless you’re exempt)
    • Motor vehicle tax, if you bought the vehicle from someone who received a concession on vehicle tax (for example a pensioner), and you’re not entitled to that concession
    • Annual Fee (Varies depending on the style and content). See the myPlates website or phone 13 17 58 for information.

Selling a vehicle

When you sell a vehicle, there are two things you need to do to make sure TfNSW records are updated correctly:

  1. Provide the new registered operator with a document that proves their entitlement to register the vehicle. See Proof of registration entitlement for information about acceptable documents.
  2. Lodge a Notice of Disposal for the vehicle.

Notice of Disposal

When you sell a vehicle, or it’s no longer in your possession, it’s your responsibility to notify TfNSW by lodging a Notice of Disposal. There is no charge.

If you forget to tell us that you no longer have the vehicle, you could be held responsible for parking and other driving offences until the new registered operator transfers the registration into their name. Lodging a Notice of Disposal helps you avoid unnecessary fines.

If you receive an enforcement notice for a vehicle you no longer have in your possession, you normally have an opportunity to advise the issuing agency that you’re no longer responsible for the vehicle, generally by submitting a Statutory Declaration. Contact the agency that issued the enforcement notice for more information.

To lodge a Notice of Disposal, you must have all of the following information:

  • Your name, or the organisation’s name.
  • Signature of the registered operator. If the vehicle was registered in two names, then only the primary (first listed) operator’s signature is required.
  • Plate number.
  • Date of disposal.
  • If possible, you should also include the following additional information, particularly the name and address of the new operator:
    • Vehicle details (you can find this information on the Certificate of Registration):
      • year built
      • make/model
      • engine number
      • VIN/Chassis number.
    • Your details:
      • address
      • driver licence number or TfNSW customer number
      • reason for the disposal.
    • New operator’s details:
      • name or organisation’s name
      • address
      • date of birth (not for organisations)
      • selling price or market price, whichever is higher
      • driver licence number or TfNSW customer number.

How to lodge a Notice of Disposal 

You can lodge a Notice of Disposal:

  • Online– provided the new operator is a NSW resident with a NSW driver licence.
  • Post – you can complete the Notice of Disposal on the back of the vehicle's Certificate of Registration or print out and fill in the Notice of Disposal form, then post it to:
    Transport for NSW
    PO Box 21
    Parkes NSW 2870
  • In person – at any registry or service centre. You can complete the Notice of Disposal on the back of the vehicle’s Certificate of Registration, or you can print out and fill in the Notice of Disposal form.

Don't forget to update your E-Tag details

If you have an E-Tag, make sure you contact your tag provider to update your number plate and vehicle details.

Selling a vehicle with special number plates

If you’re selling a vehicle with special number plates that have additional annual fees, you should let the new operator know, as the plates and their fees go with the vehicle.

Keeping the number plates

If you’re selling or otherwise disposing of a vehicle and you want to keep the number plates, you’ll need to take action before you sell the vehicle.

To keep the plates, you have the following options:

  • Exchange the number plates for plates on another vehicle registered in your name.
  • Reserve the number plates at a registry or Service NSW centre, and have standard plates issued to the vehicle instead.

For more information about special number plates, see the myPlates website, or contact myPlates by phoning 13 17 58, or emailing

CTP insurance

A vehicle's Compulsory Third Party (CTP) insurance (green slip) remains in place and automatically transfers to the new operator when the registration is transferred.

As the new registered operator, you don’t need to do anything with respect to CTP insurance, until the vehicle’s registration is due for renewal.

Transfers due to death

There are strict requirements around transferring a vehicle’s registration due to the death of the registered operator. See deceased estates for information.