Permits for heavy vehicle access

The Heavy Vehicle National Law (HVNL) requires the National Heavy Vehicle Regulator (NHVR) to issue all heavy vehicle access permits.

From 1 June 2020, all heavy vehicle permits will be issued by the NHVR (National Heavy Vehicle Regulator).

Prior to issuing a permit, the NHVR must obtain the consent of each relevant road manager. The HVNL (Heavy Vehicle National Law) imposes a time limit of 28 days, on road managers in deciding whether or not to give consent to access and to determine under what (if any) conditions access will be granted.

The time limit can be extended by up to six months if a route assessment is required or if the road manager is required to consult with a third party or determines that it is necessary to consult with a local government authority (council).

A road manager may charge the applicant a fee for conducting a route assessment. The access request need not be considered by the road manager until the applicant has paid the route assessment fee.

Permits for travel in NSW and permits for interstate travel

Transport for NSW (TfNSW) had been delegated by the NHVR to directly issue Class 1 and Class 3 heavy vehicle permits for journeys within NSW travelling on State roads. This delegation came into effect on 25 February 2014.

Councils and other road managers in NSW had also been delegated to issue Class 1 permits for travel on the roads they manage.

As of 1 June 2020, this delegation is returning to the NHVR. TfNSW and local Councils will no longer be able to issue permits directly to customers.

Heavy vehicle operators will need to lodge all permit applications via the NHVR Portal and the NHVR will seek the relevant road manager's consent.

More information about permits and obligations of both road managers and applicants is available from the NHVR website.

Related information

Frequently asked questions - information for local councils

Access management - NHVR website