Commercial vessel access to Commuter and Charter Wharves in Sydney Harbour and its tributaries is regulated under the Ports and Maritime Administration Regulation 2021.
A Wharf Access Policy was developed by Transport for NSW (TfNSW) and took effect from 1 September 2015.
The policy applies to all Commuter and Charter Wharves in Sydney Harbour and its tributaries and any commercial vessel using those wharves.
The purpose of this policy is to:
- provide consistent and transparent arrangements for commercial vessel operators seeking to use the network of Commuter and Charter Wharves in Sydney Harbour and its tributaries
- ensure that public transport services provided under contract to TfNSW are provided priority access to the wharves to deliver timetabled services.
Types of wharves
In addition to the Commuter and Charter, TfNSW also manages a number of other wharves on Sydney Harbour that are neither Commuter nor Charter.
A Charter Wharf may only be used by a commercial vessel operator that has made a booking through the TfNSW Wharf Booking System (WBS). To use a Charter Wharf, a commercial vessel operator must register for the WBS and make a booking for a particular date and time. Charter Wharves are not available for use by recreational vessels.
Please see below for a full list of Charter Wharves included in the Wharf Access Policy. See Charter Wharf Booking System for more information on the WBS.
A Commuter Wharf may be used by ferries, charter vessel operators and recreational vessels. Commuter Wharves cannot be booked. To use a Commuter Wharf, a commercial vessel operator must purchase a Regular Use Permit or a Voucher pack from TfNSW. Timetabled services, such as ferries, have priority access to the Commuter Wharves over other commercial or recreational vessel operators.
See Commuter Wharves for more information.
Restrictions on certain wharves
TfNSW may impose a maximum tonnage limit and/or a maximum length limit for various wharves on Sydney Harbour and its tributaries.
In addition, TfNSW may require operators to undergo training before berthing at wharves with hydraulic systems.
Charter Wharves - Bookable on the Wharf Booking System
- Campbells Cove Pontoon
- Commissioners Steps
- Eastern Pontoon (Circular Quay No.1)
- Eastern Pontoon North
- Eastern Pontoon South
- Harbour Masters Steps
- Ives Steps
- King St No. 6
- King St No. 7
- King St No. 8
- King St No. 9
- Manly Hotel Wharf (Note - this wharf is only available for bulk bookings)
- Man O' War Steps - East Jetty
- Man O' War Steps - North Jetty (Man O'War West)
- Pier 26 Wharf 3
- Towns Place East (Walsh Bay No. 10 - East)
- Towns Place West (Walsh Bay No. 10 -West)
- Walsh Bay 2 Pontoon.
Commuter Wharves - Permit or Voucher required
- Abbotsford (Great North Road)
- Aquarium (Darling Harbour)
- Balmain (Thames St)
- Balmain East (Darling St)
- Balmain West (Elliot St)
- Bayview Park (Burwood Rd, Concord)
- Beulah Street (Kirribilli)
- Birchgrove (Louisa Rd)
- Birkenhead (Henley Marine Dr.)
- Cabarita (Cabarita Point)
- Chiswick (Bortfield Dr)
- Cremorne Point (Milson Rd)
- Darling Point (McKell Park)
- Double Bay (Bay St)
- Drummoyne (Wolseley St)
- Greenwich (Bay St)
- Greenwich Point (Mitchell St)
- Hunters Hill (Alexandra St)
- Huntleys Point (Huntleys Point Rd)
- Jeffrey Street (Kirribilli)
- Kirribilli (Holbrook Ave)
- Kissing Point (Kissing Pt Park, Putney)
- Kurraba Point (Kurraba Rd, Neutral Bay)
- Longueville (Stuart St)
- McMahons Point (Henry Lawson Ave)
- Meadowbank (Bowden St)
- Milsons Point (Luna Park)
- Mosman Bay (Avenue Rd)
- Neutral Bay (Hayes St)
- North Sydney (High St)
- Northwood (Northwood Rd)
- Old Cremorne (Green St)
- Pyrmont Bay (Maritime Museum)
- Rose Bay (Lyne Park)
- South Mosman (Musgrave St)
- Sydney Olympic Park (Hill Rd, Homebush Bay)
- Taronga Zoo (Athol Wharf Rd, Mosman)
- Watsons Bay (Military Rd)
- Woolwich (Valentia St).
Note: Parramatta and Rydalmere wharves are not listed as Commuter Wharves as they are only available for use by the operator of Sydney Ferries services due to navigation restrictions in the Parramatta River.
View or download a printable version of the Wharf List (PDF, 172.76 KB).
View or download a printable version of the Wharf map (PDF, 1.3 MB).
Refer to the fees section for further information