Blaxland Road, Eastwood
The NSW Government is upgrading the Blaxland Road and First Avenue intersection. This work will ease congestion and improve traffic flow, travel times and road safety.
Apr 2020 - Upgrade completed
Motorists and local residents in Eastwood and surrounding areas were experiencing heavy congestion in the morning and evening peak hours caused by traffic wanting to turn onto Blaxland Road and First Avenue.
Transport for NSW has completed upgrading this ‘pinch point’ intersection. Since opening to traffic in February 2020, this upgrade is delivering more reliable trips for all road users.
Thank you to the local community for their patience while we completed this intersection upgrade.
The NSW Government is upgrading the intersection of Blaxland Road and First Avenue at Eastwood as part of its $300 million Urban Roads Pinch Point Program which will ease congestion and improve travel times on Sydney’s busiest corridors.
To provide a more reliable and predictable journey, queue lengths will be reduced by:
- creating a dual right turn from Blaxland Road to First Avenue by changing the current lane configuration
- extending the left turn lane from First Avenue onto Blaxland Road by 100 metres
Safety will also be improved at the intersection by:
- reducing the number of rear end crashes caused by motorists changing lanes
- enlarging the concrete median making crossing safer for pedestrians.
The upgrade of the intersection of Blaxland Road at First Avenue at Eastwood will deliver:
- two right turn lanes from Blaxland Road into First Avenue
- 100 metre extension of the left turn lane from First Avenue onto Blaxland Road
- 50 metre extension to the centre median on the northbound approach of Blaxland Road
- larger central raised medians on Blaxland Road and First Avenue
- upgraded traffic lights
- reconstructed footpath and traffic islands
- road marking.
Two site compounds are established on Roads and Maritime Services land; one at the corner of First Avenue and Ryedale Road, the second at First Avenue and Blaxland Road.
There will be temporary traffic changes during work hours to ensure the work zone is safe. Please keep to speed limits and follow signs and traffic controller directions. For the latest traffic updates, call 132 701, visit livetraffic.com or download the Live Traffic NSW app.
What happens next?
We have completed work on this project. We thank the community for their patience while we undertook this work.
Roads and Maritime would like to thank everyone who took the time to consider the Blaxland Road proposals and provide feedback.
The community was invited to comment on proposed improvements to Blaxland Road and First Avenue as well as on Blaxland Road at Balaclava Road and Ball Avenue, Eastwood in August and September 2017.
Reports that summarise the feedback received and responses are now available:
- Blaxland Road, Balaclava Road and Ball Avenue community consultation report (PDF, 2Mb)
- Blaxland Road and First Avenue community consultation report (PDF, 2.02Mb)
Detailed design plans and an environmental assessment for the upgrade of the intersection of Blaxland Road and First Avenue have also now been finalised.
Some documents on this page may not comply with accessibility requirements (WCAG).
If you are having trouble accessing information in these documents, please contact us.
- April 2020 notification
Project completed at Blaxland Road and First Avenue, Eastwood.
- October 2019 notification
Work re-starting at Blaxland Road and First Avenue, Eastwood from 24 October 2019.
- January 2019 start of work notice
Work starts at Blaxland Road and First Avenue, Eastwood.
- February 2018 project update
Proposed intersection improvements on Blaxland Road, Eastwood.
August 2017 project update
Have your say on proposed intersection improvements on Blaxland Road, Eastwood.
- February 2018 community consultation report
Blaxland Road and First Avenue.
January 2018 community consultation report
Blaxland Road, Balaclava Road and Ball Avenue.
For further information about this project, please contact:
Phone: 1300 919 508
Post: PO Box 1067 North Ryde BC 1670.