Brian Road Intersection Upgrade - Appin Road improvements
The Australian and NSW governments are funding projects to improve safety and support affordable housing in the Greater Macarthur Growth Area.
Appin Road is a key arterial road which connects road users travelling between south-western Sydney and the Illawarra. Locally the road services the suburbs of Appin, Gilead and Rosemeadow.
A safety review of Appin Road identified several opportunities to improve safety, such as by widening shoulder widths and improving the intersection at Brian Road. As such, Transport proposes to construct a roundabout at the Brian Road intersection as well as road widening and installing safety barriers along Appin Road.
A fauna underpass has also been proposed at the intersection to connect koalas near Ousedale Creek travelling between the Georges River Reserve and Nepean Corridors.
The koala underpass implements one of the key recommendations of the Cumberland Plain Conservation Plan and addresses a key issue identified in the Campbelltown Comprehensive Koala Plan of Management.
The Brian Road Intersection Upgrade would include a new roundabout and fauna underpass.
Key features include:
- A new single lane roundabout at the intersection of Appin Road and Brian Road
- A new 2.4m diameter and 36m long fauna underpass under Appin Road, with refuge poles at the fauna underpass entrances and an elevated timber log through the underpass to aid movement
- A new vegetated fauna path to the new fauna underpass
- Road shoulder and embankment widening, and new safety barriers and fauna fencing along Appin and Brian Roads
- Fauna fence drop downs at either side of the underpass to allow trapped fauna inside the road reserve to escape
- Utility relocations, drainage, pavement markings, street lighting and signage.
The community was invited to provide feedback on the Review of Environmental Factors (REF) between 25 January and 24 February 2023. Community feedback helps us understand what is important to customers and the community. Community feedback is now closed and is currently being assessed. A submissions report will be prepared to respond to community feedback.
- January 2023 community notification (PDF, 2.35 MB)
Review of Environmental Factors
Some documents on this page may not comply with accessibility requirements (WCAG).
If you are having trouble accessing information in these documents, please contact us.
- Brian Road Upgrade Intersection Upgrade REF Appendix A (PDF, 377.49 KB)
- Brian Road Upgrade Intersection Upgrade REF Appendix B (PDF, 382.53 KB)
- Brian Road Upgrade Intersection Upgrade REF Appendix C (PDF, 360.07 KB)
- Brian Road Upgrade Intersection Upgrade REF Appendix D (PDF, 14.24 MB)
- Brian Road Upgrade Intersection Upgrade REF Appendix E (PDF, 8.54 MB)
- Brian Road Upgrade Intersection Upgrade REF Appendix F (PDF, 1.53 MB)
- Brian Road Upgrade Intersection Upgrade REF Appendix G (PDF, 4.69 MB)
- Brian Road Upgrade Intersection Upgrade REF Appendix I (PDF, 1.24 MB)
- Brian Road Upgrade Intersection Upgrade REF Appendix J (PDF, 344.12 KB)
- Brian Road Upgrade Intersection Upgrade REF Executive Summary (PDF, 4.75 MB)
For further information about this project, please contact:
Phone: 1800 684 490
Mail: Brian Road Intersection Upgrade, Transport for NSW, PO Box 973 Parramatta CBD NSW 2124