Glenmore Parkway to Jamison Road - The Northern Road upgrade
The Australian and NSW governments have upgraded The Northern Road as part of the Western Sydney Infrastructure Plan (WSIP), a $4.1 billion road investment program.
Jul 2022 - Upgrade complete
The upgrade of The Northern Road is now complete and the project office has been demobilised. All previous phone and email contacts for the project are not active. To contact a Transport for NSW representative please call 1800 703 457 and press 1 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
The Northern Road upgrade has delivered new and upgraded roads to support integrated transport in the region and capitalise on the economic benefits from developing the Western Sydney Airport at Badgerys Creek. It has improved safety, increased road capacity and reduced congestion and travel times.
This upgrade covers about 4 kilometres between Glenmore Parkway, Glenmore Park and Jamison Road, South Penrith.
The benefits of The Northern Road upgrade:
- Improving travel times by:
- Increasing the number of lanes along The Northern Road
- Removing a set of traffic lights at the M4 Interchange
- Providing additional turning lanes at some intersections
- Allowing for reliable public transport by providing a continuous kerbside bus lane in each direction
- Improving safety for pedestrians and cyclists by providing a new shared path
- Improving connectivity for pedestrians by providing new footpaths
- Improving road safety by:
- Providing a central median to separate opposing traffic flows
- Installing new traffic lights at two existing intersections
- Providing separate turning lanes at some intersections
- Improving the alignment of the road
- Improving local access by providing an extension of Cross Road to Wentworth Road
- Mitigating traffic noise impacts by providing two new noise barriers.
All feedback received during the display of the concept design and REF was considered by the project team. A submissions report is available for download that summarises the submissions received and the intended project outcome.
Key features of The Northern Road upgrade include:
- Widening The Northern Road to provide four lanes in each direction (three general traffic lanes and a kerbside bus lane)
- Building a new bridge over the M4 Motorway with the existing bridge to be removed
- Installing new traffic lights and turning lanes at some intersections
- Providing continuous bus lanes in each direction
- Installing a central median
- Providing a new shared pedestrian and cyclist path and footpaths
- Installing new street lighting, drainage, safety barriers and landscaping
- Installing new retaining walls
- Installing two new noise barriers
- Contractor: Acciona (formerly Lendlease Engineering)
- Start of major construction: mid-2017
- Expected completion date: mid-2021
- Project value (of all 6 sections of The Northern Road): $1.6 billion
- Funding source: Australian and NSW governments
Cyclist detour map
Some documents on this page may not comply with accessibility requirements (WCAG).
If you are having trouble accessing information in these documents, please contact us.
- December 2019
Plan ahead for closures along The Northern Road at South Penrith.
- November 2018
Work on The Northern Road upgrade drives ahead.
For further information about this project, please contact:
Phone: 1800 703 457