Great Western Highway and Werrington Road upgrade
The NSW Government is planning to widen and upgrade the Great Western Highway and Werrington Road Intersection to improve travel efficiency and ease congestion in the area.
Nov 2022 - Community Consultation Report and concept design progress
In October 2022, we released the preferred design option for the Great Western Highway and Werrington Road intersection upgrade. We sought feedback from the community and on the proposed design.
Transport for NSW thanks everyone who provided feedback and has prepared a consultation report which summarises comments and questions received during the feedback period, and our responses. The main issues raised in the consultation related to the proposed design, traffic and heavy vehicle movements.
Transport for NSW will continue to provide the community with updates throughout the project.
For more information, view the consultation report (PDF, 692Kb).
If you have any questions, please contact the project team on 1800 684 490 during business hours or email email@example.com
Transport for NSW proposes to ease congestion at the Great Western Highway and Werrington Road intersection.
There is high traffic movement between Werrington Road and Gipps Street, which provides access between the St Marys industrial area and the M4 Western Motorway.
The demand for westbound vehicles turning right from The Great Western Highway onto Werrington Road northbound exceeds the designated right-turn lane capacity during peak periods, leading to significant delays and long queues at this intersection.
What do we aim to achieve?
- reduce delays and excessive queuing on the right turn lane from Werrington Road increase vehicle capacity for the right turn lane from Great Western Highway into Werrington Road
- improve travel time and safety at this intersection
- improve traffic flow and ease congestion.
Key features of the proposed upgrade include:
- widening Werrington Road approximately 10 metres at the intersection to allow for an additional right turn lane
- extending the right turn lane by 80 metres on Great Western Highway eastbound into Werrington Road
- upgrading traffic signals and pedestrian crossingsconstructing a concrete and painted median on Werrington Road
- reapplying asphalt surfacing and road markings
We are asking for feedback from stakeholders and the community on the preferred option. We will welcome feedback on the preferred option until Sunday 23 October 2022.
Transport will consider all feedback from the community and stakeholders on the preferred option in the concept design phase.
Transport will continue to engage with the community and key stakeholders through the next phase of design.
Some documents on this page may not comply with accessibility requirements (WCAG).
If you are having trouble accessing information in these documents, please contact us.
- March 2022 project notification
Investigation work on the Great Western Highway and Werrington Road Intersection.
For further information about this project, please contact:
Phone: 1800 684 490