Moss Vale transport improvements and station upgrade
Transport for New South Wales is investigating improvements to the transport network at Moss Vale including the upgrade of Moss Vale Station.
Updates and announcements
We are seeking feedback by 5pm on Monday 28 June to better understand peoples’ experiences living and travelling in and around Moss Vale including their use of Moss Vale Station.
We are investigating improvements to the transport network at Moss Vale including the upgrade of Moss Vale Station. We are delivering an upgrade to the Moss Vale Station to achieve Disability Standards for Accessible Public Transport 2002 (DSAPT) compliance.
The project aims to provide a station precinct that is accessible to those with a disability, limited mobility, parents/carers with prams and customers with luggage, while ensuring it aligns with Moss Vale’s transport needs.
Key features considered for the station upgrade include:
- Improved access to the station, and in the station precinct for people who are mobility-impaired
- Lift access to the station forecourt from the existing footbridge, tactile markers for the platforms and upgraded toilet facilities
- Improved pedestrian bridge access to the station from Lackey Street
- Improved access to the station from Argyle Street
- Improved access to the station from the onsite carpark and bus stop
- Upgraded bus stop (Argyle Street) and improved access to the station via upgrades to footpaths and lighting in Jubilee Park
Station upgrade frequently asked questions
What is the project about?
We are planning to upgrade Moss Vale Station to ensure the station is compliant with the Disability Standards for Accessible Public Transport 2002 (DSAPT).
How would this station upgrade benefit the local community?
- Improved accessibility and facilities for people with a disability, limited mobility and parents with prams
- Improved amenities and wayfinding signage at the station precinct
- Improved intermodal connectivity for a more efficient transport network
- Improved integration in planning and community benefits across related infrastructure projects in the area
What effort is being taken to retain the heritage listing of the station?
We are liaising with representatives from the Berrima Historical Society and Wingecarribee Shire Council to ensure the station retains its significant heritage features and upholds its heritage listing.
How would traffic and safety be managed during construction?
We may need to temporarily change traffic conditions in and around the Moss Vale region to ensure the safety of workers and transport users. Changes may include reduced speed limits, concrete barriers, temporary fencing, traffic control, night work and traffic diversions
What would be the project’s construction hours?
A construction schedule would be developed once planning approval has been awarded and a construction contractor appointed. We would keep the community updated as more information becomes available.
Moss Vale transport improvements
We are also investigating improvements to the transport network in the greater Moss Vale area. This forms part of our long term commitment to provide safe, efficient and reliable journeys through Moss Vale while maintaining the character and amenity of the town centre.
This planning for a well-connected transport network focuses on all modes of transport for the community, from walking and cycling through to cars, buses and trains. It encourages meaningful discussions with communities on how to address existing and expected future transport needs.
Transport improvements frequently asked questions
What is the project about?
We are investigating initiatives to improve the transport network in Moss Vale. This forms part of our long term commitment to provide safe, efficient and reliable journeys through Moss Vale while maintaining the character and amenity in the town centres.
What is the study area?
The study area includes the Illawarra Highway between Suttor Road and Yarrawa Street as well as the Moss Vale Train Station and Moss Vale Town Centre as indicated on the interactive mapping tool.
What is the focus of the investigation?
We are investigating key constraints and issues experienced when travelling around the Moss Vale town centre. These include on-street parking, traffic queuing, delays in peak periods, public transport availability and the future transport needs of the community. This investigation aims to identify options to:
- reduce travel times
- improve road safety
- maintain amenity of the town centre
- assist the development of transport plans for Moss Vale in the long term.
Is Transport planning to introduce clearways in Moss Vale?
Clearways can help manage congestion by allowing motorists to use all available lanes during peak periods. They could form part of a broader solution for Moss Vale.
Will parking spaces be reviewed as part of this investigation?
We are seeking feedback around parking to understand the number, location and customer use of existing parking in Moss Vale.
Could improvements to public transport assist in reducing congestion?
Feedback and suggestions about changes or improvements to public transport will be considered as part of the consultation. Your feedback will help inform future transport solutions.
How will Transport consider improvements to connections for cyclists and pedestrians?
We will work closely with Wingecarribee Shire Council and key stakeholders to consider opportunities to encourage walking and cycling in the area to help reduce the demand for car trips.
Consultation with the community is an important part of this project development. It will help us understand community concerns around the operation of the train station as well as broader transport issues in and around Moss Vale. Once we understand how people are feeling, we can work towards finding possible solutions.
When pinning your feedback through the interactive online tool, please remember to:
- separate your comments between the train station upgrade and the broader town centre transport issues, and pin them to the relevant map
- please advise us of your experiences using the Moss Vale Station and how it could become more accessible and safe to use
- provide your feedback on the train station precinct by selecting the appropriate pin, such as, property and access, environment, traffic and road safety, public transport, parking or other
- provide your feedback on the Moss Vale transport network by selecting the appropriate pin, such as, parking, pedestrian access, cycling access, public transport, amenity of the town centre or other.
You can provide your comments by:
- submitting through the Interactive online tool
- emailing SouthProjects@transport.nsw.gov.au
- writing to Moss Vale Transport Improvements and Station Upgrade project team, PO Box 477, Wollongong, NSW, 2520.
All comments are due by Monday 28 June at 5pm.
What happens next?
We will carefully consider all feedback received before proceeding with the project’s development. A community consultation report will be prepared, summarising matters raised and our responses. This will be made available on our website. We will keep you updated as the proposal progresses.
For further information on this project please contact:
- Email: SouthProjects@transport.nsw.gov.au
- Mail: Moss Vale transport improvements and station upgrade project team, PO Box 484, Wagga Wagga, NSW, 2650
- Phone: 1800 570 504