Power Supply Upgrade Program current and upcoming work
See the latest information about construction activities in your area as we roll out the Power Supply Upgrade Program.
We are making improvements to electrical infrastructure across the network to meet expected power requirements for Sydney’s future rail network and new fleet of air-conditioned trains.
Please see below for the latest information about construction activities in your area.
We’re upgrading electrical equipment within the substation at Strathfield Station.
- Strathfield community notification September - October 2020
- Strathfield community notification August 2020
- Strathfield community notification July - August 2020
Surry Hills to Central Station Feeder Upgrade
We have installed a new power supply cable between the Ausgrid Substation at Surry Hills and the new Chalmers Street Substation at Central Station. This project supports future rail network requirements associated with the integration of Sydney Metro and the introduction of a new fleet of trains.
The work included the installation of a new 1.2 kilometre underground cable route from the Ausgrid Substation at Surry Hills to the Chalmers Street Substation, via Central Station.
Key features of the upgrade include:
- Trenching (mostly in the road corridor to avoid trees and existing services) and installation of pipes to house the new cables
- Boring under Eddy Avenue to minimise traffic, pedestrian and light rail impacts
Work within the rail corridor commenced in June 2019, with construction work in Surry Hills commencing in July 2019 and taking place in stages along the route.
The Sydney Metro project is also completing work in the Central Station and Surry Hills area. Construction updates can be found at the Sydney Metro Central Station website.
We’re upgrading the capacity of several Substations and Sectioning Huts in the Central, North, West and Illawarra regions.
- Riverstone community notification August - September 2020
- Mt Druitt community notification August 2020
- Argyle community notification August 2020
- St Marys community notification August 2020
Mount Kuring-Gai Sectioning Hut
We have built a new electrical Sectioning Hut at Mount Kuring-Gai to meet expected power requirements for Sydney’s future rail network and new fleet of air-conditioned trains.
Between Saturday 26 and Sunday 27 October 2019 the new Sectioning Hut was installed. Watch the time-lapse video to see the crane lifting the new Sectioning Hut into the rail corridor and our construction crew securing it in place.
We’re upgrading overhead wires across the network to meet expected power requirements for Sydney’s future rail network and new fleet of air-conditioned trains.