Power Supply Upgrade Program current and upcoming works
See the latest information about construction activities in your area as we roll out the Power Supply Upgrade Program.
We are making improvements to electrical infrastructure across the network to meet expected power requirements for Sydney’s future rail network and new fleet of air conditioned trains.
Please see below for the latest information about construction activities in your area.
For information about planning approval for current projects, please see the environment page.
Surry Hills to Central Station Feeder Upgrade
- Central Station to Surry Hills Feeder Upgrade proposed route change notification August 2019 (PDF, 445.32 KB)
Planning approval has been received for a new power supply cable to be installed between the Ausgrid Substation at Surry Hills and the new Chalmers Street Substation at Central Station. This project will support future network requirements associated with the integration of Sydney Metro and the introduction of a new fleet of trains.
The work will include the installation of a new 1.2 kilometre underground cable route from the Ausgrid Substation at Surry Hills to the Chalmers Street Substation, via Central Station.
Key features of the proposed upgrade include:
- Trenching (mostly in the road corridor to avoid trees and existing services) and installation of pipes to house the new cables
- Boring under Eddy Avenue to minimise traffic, pedestrian and light rail impacts
- Temporary parking and lane closures in Surry Hills along Ann Street, Commonwealth Street, Albion Street and Elizabeth Street to allow the work to be completed safely.
The community consultation stage for this project has now closed. Transport for NSW thanks everyone who took the time to have their say by providing submissions and attending our community information session.
For more information, view the latest Surry Hills to Central Station Feeder Upgrade community newsletter (PDF, 2.16 MB) and our project FAQs (PDF, 614.43 KB).
If you would like to learn more about this project, including receiving project updates, please call 1800 684 490 or email Transport for NSW at email@example.com.
Now that community consultation is completed, a Determination Report (PDF, 3.04 MB) has been prepared responding to public submissions and outlining project-specific conditions of approval.
Early works within the rail corridor are due to commence in May 2019, with construction works in Surry Hills to commence from June 2019.
- Surry Hills to Central Station Feeder Upgrade (Elizabeth Street works) community notification September 2019 (PDF, 580.39 KB)
- Surry Hills to Central Station Feeder Upgrade (Frog Hollow Reserve works) community notification September 2019 (PDF, 554.33 KB)
- Surry Hills to Central Station Feeder Upgrade community notification September 2019 (PDF, 539.88 KB)
- Central Station to Surry Hills Feeder Upgrade community notification upcoming works August - September 2019 (PDF, 512.02 KB)
- Surry Hills to Central Feeder Upgrade community notification August 2019 (PDF, 489.76 KB)
- Central Station Surry Hills community notification July-August 2019 (PDF, 686.58 KB)
- Albion Street Surry Hills community notification July 2019 (PDF, 452.19 KB)
- Elizabeth Street Surry Hills community notification July 2019 (PDF, 368.87 KB)
- Surry Hills to Central Station Feeder Upgrade community newsletter (PDF, 2.16 MB)
- Surry Hills to Central Station Feeder Upgrade community notification May 2019 (PDF, 682.96 KB)
- Project FAQs (PDF, 614.43 KB)
- Review of Environmental Factors (REF) (PDF, 5.7 MB)
- Project Determination Report (PDF, 3.04 MB)
- Project Section 60 Heritage Approval (PDF, 193.2 KB)
- Construction Noise and Vibration Impact Assessment (PDF, 4.47 MB)
- Arboricultural Impact Assessment Report (PDF, 5.71 MB)
- Statement of Heritage Impact (PDF, 6.66 MB)
- Traffic, Transport and Access Impact Assessment Report (PDF, 4.77 MB)
Hornsby to Berowra
We’re upgrading and installing new power poles and wires in and around the rail corridor between Hornsby and Berowra. This requires survey and investigation works followed by the installation of the new poles and wires and removal of the old power poles.
Work will be undertaken outside of standard construction hours on the following dates:
We’re conducting works at Argyle Substation to increase the power capacity.
We’re building a new electrical substation within the Prince Alfred Sidings Precinct, east of Central Station. The new substation will replace the life expired Prince Alfred Substation, one of the original substations in the Sydney Trains Network. The Chalmers St Substation Project is currently supplying all traction power (needed to run the trains) for all suburban lines from Central to Wynyard, City Circle and the Eastern Suburbs rail. The substation will also supply distribution power for Central Station and all stations around the City Circle and the Eastern Suburbs Rail line.
The Chalmers Street Substation project has commenced the staging of moving over the High Voltage feeders from Prince Alfred Substation onto the new substation as well as the de-commissioning of the redundant equipment within Prince Alfred Substation.
For more information about construction activities please read our latest community notification.
Sefton to Chullora and Strathfield to Chullora
We’re removing overhead wires and installing new footings, power poles and overhead wires between Sefton and Chullora.
We’re also removing and installing power poles between Strathfield and Chullora.
- Sefton to Chullora community notification September 2019 (PDF, 261.46 KB)
- Strathfield to Chullora community notification September 2019 (PDF, 343.13 KB)
We’re upgrading the capacity of several Substations and Sectioning Huts in the Central, North, West and Illawarra regions.
We’re building a new electrical Sectioning Hut at Mount Kuring-Gai to reduce the dropout of power for trains.
- Mount Kuring-Gai community notification June 2019 (PDF, 493.38 KB)
- Mount Kuring-Gai community notification May 2019 (PDF, 575.58 KB)
- St Marys to Oxley Park community notification August 2019 (PDF, 236.24 KB)
- Seven Hills to Blacktown community notification August 2019 (PDF, 254.8 KB)
- Quakers Hill to Clarendon community notification August 2019 (PDF, 276.06 KB)
- Blacktown to Wentworthville community notification August 2019 (PDF, 259.88 KB)
- Schofields to Riverstone community notification August 2019 (PDF, 404.62 KB)
- Tascott community notification July 2019 (PDF, 420.2 KB)
- South Tacoma community notification July 2019 (PDF, 373.45 KB)