Princes Highway and Bates Drive intersection
The NSW Government is funding proposed improvements to the intersection of Princes Highway and Bates Drive, Kareela as part of the $450 million Urban Roads Congestion Program.
The proposed intersection upgrade will improve efficiency and deliver a safer and more reliable journeys for those travelling on one of Sydney’s busiest corridors.
Feb 2023 - Consultation Report – Now Available!
Thank you to everyone for considering the proposal and taking the time to give us feedback and suggestions on the early design features of the Princes Highway and Bates Drive Kareela Intersection Upgrade. All submissions have been reviewed and responded to in the report. Click here to view the consultation report. (PDF, 1012.47 KB)
Dec 2022 – Consultation closed – Early project features
The community consultation closed on Sunday 18 December 2022 on the early design features of the Princes Highway and Bates Drive Kareela Intersection Upgrade. Thank you to everyone for considering the proposal and taking the time to give us feedback and suggestions. All submissions will be reviewed and responded to in a consultation report.
Nov 2022 – Have your say on intersection design
Transport for NSW (TfNSW) are inviting the community to provide feedback on the proposed intersection design. We welcome your comments until 11:59pm on Sunday 18 December 2022 by email email@example.com or call 1800 684 490.
View or download the November 2022 Have Your Say notification (PDF, 406Kb) for more information.
The intersection of Princes Highway and Bates Drive at Kareela has been identified as a point of congestion in the Sydney road network.
The proposed intersection upgrade will:
- Widen Bates Drive to accommodate a third right-turn lane onto Princes Highway southbound from Bates Drive
- Construct new kerb and adjust pedestrian refuge island to cater for reconfigured left-turn slip lane off Princes Highway northbound and onto Bates Drive
- Construct a new median leading up to the intersection along Bates Drive
- Install a new signalised pedestrian crossing across Garnet Road
- Include bicycle lanterns at all pedestrian crossings within the intersection
- Re-delineate intersection, Princes Highway and Bates Drive
- Reconfigure and install traffic lights to accommodate changes in phasing and pedestrian movements.
Your comments on the early design features in the November 2022 Have Your Say consultation will help us ensure we have considered public feedback in refining the design features and in carrying out the required environmental assessments for the project. We expect to have the report on the results of the consultation in early 2023.
A Review of Environmental Factors (REF) will be prepared for this project after completing all required investigations. The REF will have all the impacts from the finalised design features and construction of the project and measures to prevent or reduce disruptions to the community.
Some documents on this page may not comply with accessibility requirements (WCAG).
If you are having trouble accessing information in these documents, please contact us.
- November 2022 Have Your Say notification
Have your say – Intersection upgrade for Princes Highway and Bates Drive, Kareela.
For further information about this project, please contact:
Phone: 1800 684 490