Safety Improvement Upgrades - Great Western Highway Upgrade Program
The jointly funded $250 million Great Western Highway Safety upgrade between Katoomba and Lithgow has been delivered, with safety works at Blackheath now complete.
Katoomba to Mount Victoria road safety improvement
The construction is complete and upgarde is open to traffic.
Mount Victoria village safety upgrades
Transport for NSW has completed the important 1.6 kilometre safety upgrade of the Great Western Highway through Mount Victoria village.
The road was opened to traffic in March 2018.
Hartley Valley to Forty Bends road safety improvements
Transport for NSW completed the safety upgrades and road improvements on the Great Western Highway between Hartley Valley and Forty Bends in October 2017.
The upgrade included:
- improvements along the existing highway, including changes to curves to make them safer
- precast arch structure over Whites Creek and concrete pavement at Forty Bends to lessen the risk of black ice formation
- five main intersection upgrades:
- Coxs River Road and Ambermere Drive
- Baaners Lane and Browns Gap Road
- Old Bathurst Road
- Jenolan Caves Road and Blackmans Creek Road
- Daintree Close
- more arrows and reflective markers on the highway to provide clear definition of lanes
- provision of concrete and wire rope safety barriers
- improved road surface.
Some documents on this page may not comply with accessibility requirements (WCAG).
If you are having trouble accessing information in these documents, please contact us.
- 21 February 2021
Highway history to be preserved for future generations.
- 17 August 2020
Major progress being made on $8 million Great Western Highway safety upgrades at Meadow Flat.
20 May 2020
Great Western Highway upgrade hits the finish line.
19 February 2019
Last stage of road safety improvements on Great Western Highway at Bowenfels.
For further information about this project, please contact:
Phone: 1800 953 777