Tweed Heads boat maintenance facility
The NSW Government is delivering major improvements to maritime infrastructure and facilities to help the boating and wider community safely access, use and navigate our rivers and coastal waters.
August 2023 – Tweed Head Boat Maintenance facility now open to the public
Construction of the Tweed Head Boat Maintenance facility is now completed. We would like to thank the community for your patience while we delivered this project.
The project has delivered:
- New and improved facilities for boat users with a 75-tonne boat travel lift and office as part of the upgrade of the boat maintenance facility.
- Improved safety for users of the boat maintenance facility by upgrading services and equipment to meet current guidelines.
- Decreased environmental impacts to Tweed Marine Environment by upgrading the drainage and wastewater treatment system.
- Increase community access to the Tweed River and the use of the boat maintenance facility.
The operator of the facility is GC Marine. GC Marine may be contacted via phone on 02 6516 2209 or via the contact form at www.gcboatyards.com.au
A more detailed Community Update will be published in the coming weeks.
June 2023 – Update on the progress of the project
Works is in the final stage as we prepare for the operation of the site.
The concrete hardstand has been completed with the final fitting of fencing, services and modular office block being completed at the start of June.
We are expecting construction on the travel lift to be completed in the coming weeks. Assembly and commissioning (testing) of the lift will start in the first few weeks of June.
We anticipate full operation of the facility to commence in late-June, and will provide a progress update in the coming weeks.
Dec 2022 - Waterside works are underway
Works are progressing well with the completion of all piling works for the Tweed Heads Boat Maintenance Facility Project. The 13 pre-cast runway beams for the travel lift were fabricated offsite and have been installed. The floating pontoons, travel lift walkways, handrails and gangway will be completed prior to Christmas. The winch housing office and amenities block have been demolished and we will commence shortly on the demolition of the site existing slab, which will be removed progressively in and in accordance with Remedial Action Plan. Procurement of long lead time items is currently underway to support the project delivery.
View or download the December 2022 project update. (PDF, 6.21 MB)
Aug 2022 - Early works being in late August
Our team will be on-site in mid-August to set-up the site for the Tweed Heads Boat Maintenance Facility project. See below for more information on the staging of the work and what to expect during construction.
The NSW Government recognises the continued need to support the renewal and upgrade of boating infrastructure and facilities with local significance for recreational and commercial boating throughout the state.
The Tweed River is used by recreational boaters, commercial fishing vessels and maritime related tourism operators. The slipway has been in operation since the 1960’s and now requires replacement as it only serviced a small number and range of vessels due to its deteriorating condition and reduced lifting capability.
What are we proposing?
The scope of the project we will deliver in 2022 and early 2023 comprises of:
- demolishing the deteriorating existing Boat Maintenance Facility, including the slipway rails, winch and cradle
- demolishing the office building, workshop and storage container and replace with new building and storage container
- constructing a levelled hardstand area with new pavement surface and drainage
- constructing overwater lift platforms
- installing service pontoons and access gangways
- installing a new 75–tonne boat travel lift (PDF, 1.18 MB)
- installing a commercial wastewater treatment system.
The project will:
- increase community access and use of the boat maintenance facility
- increase safety for users of the boat maintenance facility by upgrading services and equipment to meet current guidelines
- protect and improve the Tweed marine environment by upgrading the drainage and wastewater treatment system
- improved facilities for boat users with new office storage areas and a 75-tonne boat travel lift
- improved 'look and feel' of the area.
Boat Maintenance Facility/Travel Life
- Travel lift installation and commission – underway
- Operator appointment and onboarding – complete.
We are expecting the construction to be completed in the coming weeks.
Frequently asked questions (FAQs)
Who is the operator of the travel lift and how can I get in contact?
The preferred operator is GC Boatyards. GC Boatyards may be contacted via phone on 02 6516 2209 or via the contact form at www.gcboatyards.com.au.
Is the Boat Maintenance Facility open to public/ recreational vessels?
Yes, the boat maintenance facility will service recreational vessels.
Will I need to pay to use the facilities?
Yes. Rates will apply to use these facilities. For more information please contact GC Boatyards on 02 6516 2209 or via contact form at www.gcboatyards.com.au.
Can I do work on my boat on the maintenance stand?
For more information please contact GC Boatyards on 02 6516 2209 or via the contact form at www.gcboatyards.com.au.
What size is the boat travel lift?
The boat travel lift for this project has a 75–tonne capacity.
The boat travel lift being used on the project is custom–built to have an internal width of 8.4 metres, which is wider than a standard 75–tonne boat travel lift, and is similar width to the 100–tonne travel lift used on the Gold Coast.
Please refer to the ASCOM boat travel lift specification (PDF, 1.18 MB) for further details.
Does the boat travel lift platform impact navigation in the area?
The design and location of the boat travel lift was developed to ensure it continues to provide safe navigation and access.
The design has been assessed by our Maritime Operations team and the appropriate navigational aids or signage has been put in place.
For further information about this project contact:
Phone: 1800 955 818 (toll free)