A whole new way to move in Newcastle
Newcastle has welcomed their new Light Rail with a fun-filled community open day to officially launch the new service.
Approximately 20,000 people gathered in Newcastle to celebrate at the community open day, jam-packed with family friendly activities for all ages at each of the six Light Rail stops!
Entertainment and activities included:
- Newcastle Beach Stop, Pacific Park: face painting, balloon animals, henna tattoos, fairy floss, the Fighter World cockpit and entertainment on the community stage
- Queens Wharf Stop, Market Street Lawn: games of croquet and giant chess, a string ensemble, kids spinning tea cups ride
- Crown Street Stop: free 10 minute massages and live music by Jason Bone
- Civic Stop, Wheeler Place: magic, monster bubbles, roving entertainers and music
- Honeysuckle Stop, Kuwumi Place: Aboriginal dance, weaving and live performances by Katherine Waria
- Newcastle Interchange: roving street performers and a photo booth
Newcastle Light Rail will provide customers with convenient turn-up-and-go services frequently across the city, taking them from Newcastle Interchange to Newcastle beach. There are even built-in surfboard racks for the keen beach-goers!
Combined with new public spaces and easy access to the waterfront, light rail is making Newcastle a more connected, attractive and liveable city.