We are committed to responsibly and properly managing the personal information we collect and protecting the privacy of our customers, staff and members of the public.
- Transport Privacy Statement
- Online privacy
- E-Toll Privacy (see E-Toll Terms & Conditions page 11)
Personal and health information
The Privacy and Personal Information Protection Act 1998 (PPIP Act) describes the responsibilities of public sector agencies in the collection, retention and security, accuracy, use and disclosure of personal information.
Similarly, the Health Records and Information Privacy Act 2002 (HRIP Act) describes the responsibilities of public sector agencies, and certain private sector health service providers, in the management of health information.
Personal information includes:
- Any information that can readily identify an individual, such as name and contact details
- Genetic material
- Electronic records
- Video recordings and photographs
Information, that may not in isolation be personal information, will become so if it relates to an identifiable person.
Health information is a type of personal information that includes information about any of the following:
- A person’s physical or mental health, including the presence of a disability
- Health services provided, or to be provided, to a person, including a person’s express wishes about health services
- The donation, or intended donation, of an individual’s body parts, organs or body substance
Who can I contact for more information
If you have a concern about the management of your personal or health information, it is advisable to first contact the part of the agency that collected the information as they are more likely to be able to give you an immediate answer about what may have occurred.
If you are not satisfied with the information which you receive, or would like to make a formal complaint about the agency’s management of your personal or health information, please contact:
Legal, Privacy and Information Access
Transport for NSW
PO Box K659
Haymarket NSW 1240
Access to and alteration of personal and health information
You have the right to access or change your own personal and health information.
Information about access to or amendment of your driver licence or vehicle registration details is available via the RMS Privacy Page.
If you are not satisfied with the conduct of an agency in respect of your personal information, you may apply for a review of the conduct (review).
An application for a review must, relevantly:
- Be in writing, and
- Be addressed to the public sector agency concerned, and
- Specify an address in Australia to which correspondence, and
- Be lodged with us within 6 months from the you first became aware of the conduct the subject of the review.
An application form has been developed to assist individuals wishing to apply for an internal review by the transport agencies.
Upon receiving an application for a review, the agency will notify the NSW Privacy Commissioner, keep them informed about the review and its outcome.
Privacy complaints can also be made directly to the NSW Privacy Commissioner.
A person who is not satisfied with the outcome of a review can appeal to the NSW Civil and Administrative Tribunal.
Privacy Management Plans
More detailed information about how each transport agency fulfils its obligations under the privacy legislation is contained in its Privacy Management Plan.