Nominated Configuration Code
The configuration codes provided in this section are shown on the vehicle’s registration label. These codes are derived from the Nominated Configuration Code, axle code and GVM, and are used by Authorised Officers for compliance purposes.
The number of axles shown in this section are derived from the axle code shown on the vehicle’s Certificate of Registration. This code is used to record the layout and number of axles and wheels on vehicles.
To help reduce the registration charges for your vehicle, you may also notify Transport for NSW when you use your vehicle in a lower configuration. However, you must notify Transport for NSW again if you intend to use your vehicle in a higher configuration. There is no limit on how often you may notify Transport for NSW.
Nominated Configuration Codes are checked by Authorised Officers for compliance purposes. It is an offence to operate a vehicle in a configuration higher than nominated and heavy penalties apply.
Working out your nominated configuration
When nominating a configuration:
- The nominated configuration for trucks and prime movers refers to the combination of the hauling unit and trailers.
- Trailers with a Gross Trailer Mass Rating (GTMR) or Aggregate Trailer Mass (ATM) of 4.5 tonnes or less are not counted in a combination (eg a truck towing this type of trailer is treated as a ‘truck’ not a ‘short combination truck’).
- Special Purpose Vehicle (SPV) trailers are not counted in a combination.
- Tow trucks when towing another vehicle in its capacity as a tow truck, are treated as a ‘truck’, if when not towing another vehicle it is a ‘truck’. This does not include ‘prime mover’ tow trucks.
- Trailers are registered separately to hauling units and have their own nominated configuration (eg some trailers may be nominated as either a ‘semi trailer’ or a ‘lead trailer’ depending on the intended use).
- Self propelled plant vehicles that are not an SPV are treated as ‘trucks’.
The illustrations on the pages in this section represent examples of typical vehicles for each configuration.
Configuration codes by vehicle type