Brookvale Pedestrian Bridge
The Brookvale pedestrian bridge is now open. In coming weeks, the signalised crossing near William Street will be permanently closed to further improve pedestrian safety and traffic flow.
Brookvale is a busy public transport interchange, retail and health precinct regularly used by bus customers, pedestrians and cyclists, as well as general traffic. Once installed, the bridge will span Pittwater Road from the side of the Brookvale Community Health Centre (BCHC) across to Westfield Warringah Mall, improving traffic flow and providing safer accessibility for pedestrians and cyclists.
Bridge construction works commenced in June 2019 and will continue over the coming weeks to install associated infrastructure and complete finishing works.
How will the pedestrian bridge improve safety and traffic flow?
On a typical weekday, close to 5,000 pedestrians cross the road at this location, whilst an average of 35,000 cars pass through the intersection between 7am and 7pm Monday to Friday.
The new ‘power sliding’ gates and pedestrian fencing will be in place to prohibit pedestrian access to Pittwater Road in this location, reducing the risk of vehicle impacts. This will also allow for more green light time for traffic, helping improve traffic flow and reduce congestion in the area.
Other features to support the pedestrian bridge work include:
- lifts to accommodate up to 21 passengers, as well as scooters, bicycles, wheelchairs and prams
- bicycle parking facilities including an undercover bike shed at the BCHC
- two ‘power sliding’ gates and pedestrian fencing to prohibit pedestrian access onto Pittwater Road
- an additional shelter at the northbound bus stops to improve existing coverage
If you have any questions or enquiries about the pedestrian bridge works and associated changes please contact us on 1800 048 751 or email email@example.com.
- Brookvale Pedestrian Bridge Project Update December 2019 (PDF, 1.46 MB)
- Brookvale Pedestrian Bridge - Frequently Asked Questions (PDF, 77.59 KB)
Time lapse footage
Brookvale pedestrian bridge gallery