Georges River Rd, Portland St Lees Ave Croydon Pk
The NSW Government has committed over $825 million to pinch point projects which ease congestion, reduce traffic delays and improve travel times on Sydney's major roads.
Aug 2019 - Construction work update
Roads and Maritime finished work on the intersection of Georges River Road, Portland Street and Lees Avenue at Croydon Park. Thank you for your patience during this important work. You can read more about our work in our August 2019 community update (PDF, 425Kb).
The NSW Government funded this project as part of its $300 million Urban Roads Pinch Point Program, which aims to reduce congestion and improve travel time on Sydney’s busiest corridors.
Heavy traffic on Georges River Road caused congestion and delays for road users. To improve traffic flow we will made changes to Portland Street and Lees Avenue.
To build the upgrades, we demolished the existing concrete median on Lees Avenue, removed and replaced the top layer of the road, installed new signs and painted new line markings for the improved intersection layout.
- More green light time for the busiest parts of the intersection
- Reducing travel times and providing more reliable journeys for road users
- Reducing congestion and improving traffic flow at the intersection particularly in peak periods
- Improving safety for pedestrians and road users.
What has changed at the intersection?
- We removed the concrete median and four parking spaces on Lees Avenue to create dedicated left, through and right turn lanes for motorists travelling north.
- We banned the right turn from Portland Street onto Georges River Road to assist with traffic flow and improve safety at the intersection. We also be changed the layout of Portland Street to have dedicated through and left lanes.
- We removed the left turn on red movements at the intersection and added left turning arrows to increase pedestrian protection at the intersection.
- We adjusted the traffic light phasing.
What is a 'pinch point'?
Pinch points are traffic congestion points, intersections or short lengths of road at which a traffic bottleneck exists slowing down the broader network. They cause a build up of traffic and travel delays at these spots and on the wider road network.
Thank you for your patience while we delivered this important work. Your support is important as we continue to deliver safer and more efficient journeys throughout NSW.
Roads and Maritime asked the local community for feedback in June 2018. We received comments from 18 people and have responded to all community feedback in a consultation report (PDF, 1.04Mb). We thank everyone for considering the proposal and for the time they spent to give us feedback.
- August 2019 community update
Saving travel time on Georges River Road in Croydon Park.
- July 2019 community update
Night work continuing in Croydon Park.
- March 2019 community update
Intersection upgradework in Croydon Park starting Sunday 31 March 2019.
- June 2018 community update
Have your say –Intersection improvements at Georges River Road, Portland Street and Lees Avenue, Croydon Park.
- February 2018 community update
Investigation work on Georges River Road, Portland Street and Lees Avenue, Croydon Park from Monday, 5 March 2019.
- September 2018 project update
Intersection improvements, Georges River Road, Croydon Park.
For further information about this project, please contact:
Phone: 1800 677 700