Maitland Bay Drive & Picnic Parade, Ettalong Beach
The NSW Government is investing $7 million to upgrade the Maitland Bay Drive and Picnic Parade intersection at Ettalong Beach. The project aims to reduce congestion, improve access into and out of Ettalong Beach and improve traffic flow for the 19,000 motorists travelling through this intersection each day.
Apr 2021 - Project completion
Transport for NSW has now completed work on the Maitland Bay Drive and Picnic Parade intersection upgrade project at Ettalong.
We would like to thank the public for their patience while work was carried out to improve safety and travel times for 19,000 motorists travelling through this intersection each day.
The newly constructed roundbout has improved access into and out of Ettalong Beach, while new shared pathways connect to the existing footpaths improving safety for active transport users.
The Kitchener Park carpark has also been upgraded with formal parking installed and new right and left turn lanes into the carpark from Maitland Bay Drive.
Residents are thanked for their patience while work was carried out, particularly at night, while motorists are also thanked as traffic flow was maintained during the project.
This section of Maitland Bay Drive is used by around 19,000 vehicles a day and the intersection provides links between Ettalong Beach, Woy Woy and the suburbs on the eastern side of the Rip Bridge including Daleys Point and St Huberts Island.
The NSW Government is investing $7 million to upgrade the intersection to improve safety for road users and access into and out of Ettalong Beach.
In November 2018, Transport for NSW invited feedback on the proposed strategic design and a total of 42 comments were received and a consultation summary report (PDF, 536Kb) covering all comments is available to view.
The proposal to upgrade the intersection includes:
- Installing a raised concrete roundabout and raised concrete medians
- New right and left turns into Kitchener Park carpark from Maitland Bay Drive, but left turn out only
- On-road lanes for cyclists
- New shared pathway to connect to the existing footpath on the eastern side of Picnic Parade
- New pedestrian refuge on Picnic Parade
- No disturbance to Blackwall Mountain or trees on northern side of Maitland Bay Drive.
Some documents on this page may not comply with accessibility requirements (WCAG).
If you are having trouble accessing information in these documents, please contact us.
- February 2021 project update
Night work on Maitland Bay Drive and Picnic Parade intersection, Ettalong from Sunday 28 February.
- January 2020 submissions report
- Review of environmental factors
- Biodiversity assessment report
- Operational, construction noise and vibration impact assessment
- Road alignment and detail
- Traffic and transportation assessment
- Urban design vision, objectives and principles
- July 2019 community consultation report
- 13 April 2021
Ettalong's Maitland Bay drive intersection complete.
24 February 2021
Ettalong intersection upgrade takes shape.
$7 million Ettalong intersection upgrade begins
6 July 2020.
For further information about this project, please contact:
Phone: 1800 670 016