The Newell Highway Program Alliance (NHPA) completed the delivery of eight overtaking in the Pilliga, between Coonabarabran and Narrabri in October 2023. They are now open at:
• Pilliga, about 15 kilometres north of Coonabarabran.
• Dandry, about 30 kilometres north of Coonabarabran.
• Near the Pilliga Rest Area, about 63 kilometres north of Coonabarabran.
• Near the Sir William Bridges Rest Area, about 24 kilometres south of Narrabri
Transport for NSW has partnered with BMD and AECOM to form the Newell Highway Program Alliance.
The strategic partnership delivered 38 additional overtaking lanes in four years rather than the likely eight years it would have taken to fund and deliver this work using traditional procurement methods.
This innovative mode of delivery resulted in approximately 60 kilometres of new overtaking lanes to improve safety, reduce travel times, allow more accurate travel planning, and improve freight efficiency.
The new overtaking lanes provide around 33 minutes of travel time savings along the length of the Newell Highway from the Victorian to the Queensland border.
The new northbound and southbound overtaking lanes at four locations between Coonababran and Narrabri will add about 12 kilometres of overtaking opportunities on the Newell Highway.
Work on the Pilliga overtaking lanes was completed in September 2023.
Now completed, road users travelling on the Newell Highway between Coonabarabran and Narrabri will experience increased overtaking opportunities to help improve journey reliability.
Other benefits of the project include:
• improve safety for all road users
• reduced travel times
• more accurate travel planning
• improved freight efficiency