Pitt Town Bypass
The NSW Government has committed $100 million to deliver the Pitt Town bypass, which will reduce traffic through the town centre, improve safety for road users and enhance flood resilience for local residents.
Jan 2023 - Construction planning underway
Detailed design and property acquisition are complete for the Pitt Town Bypass project and planning for construction is getting underway. We will update the community as these plans progress.
Jul 2020 - Detailed design now complete
Following the approval of the Review of Environmental Factors (REF) in July 2019, the Pitt Town Bypass project has moved to the next phase with detailed design now complete. The property acquisitions required for the project are underway and expected to be completed this year.
Jul 2019 - Pitt Town Bypass REF approved
The Review of Environmental Factors (REF) was displayed for community consultation in late 2018. Transport for NSW reviewed the submissions received (March 2019 submissions report (PDF, 4.8Mb)) and the project has been approved.
For details see the July 2019 community update (PDF, 250Kb).
Transport for NSW has completed planning for the Pitt Town bypass to cater for residential development to the north of Pitt Town. The objective of the bypass is to realign the road corridor so through traffic doesn’t travel into the town centre.
This project complements safety improvements that have already been made to the road network around Pitt Town, including three intersection upgrades on Pitt Town Road
Key features and benefits
The key features of the proposal include:
- Extending Pitt Town Road past Bathurst Street onto Cattai Road, east of Eldon Street
- Installing a new single lane roundabout at Eldon Street and Old Pitt Town Road
- Closing a portion of Cattai Road to maintain access to Buckingham Street
- Providing new crossings of Hortons Creek
- Installing a new single lane roundabout at Pitt Town Road/Bathurst Street and Glebe Road.
- The total length of the upgrade is approximately one km.
The benefits of the proposed bypass would include:
- Reduce traffic through the town centre, including heavy vehicles
- Improve safety for all road users
- Improve flood resilience for residents of the Hawkesbury Nepean Valley.
Transport for NSW is working on plans for construction of the Pitt Town Bypass. We will update the community as these plans progress.
Some documents on this page may not comply with accessibility requirements (WCAG).
If you are having trouble accessing information in these documents, please contact us.
- July 2019 project update
Pitt Town bypass project approved.
November 2018 community update
Pitt Town bypass update.
March 2017 community update
Proposed Pitt Town Bypass preferred option.
May 2016 community update
Have Your Say on Pitt Town bypass.
- January 2019 notification
Investigation work update.
- October 2018 notification
Investigation work from Monday 5 November 2018.
For further information about this project, please contact:
Phone: 1800 684 490