Princes Highway and The Boulevarde, Kirrawee
The NSW Government is funding this project as part of its $300 million Gateway to the South Pinch Point Program which aims to ease congestion and improve journey reliability on Sydney’s key southern corridors.
Dec 2020 - End of work
Work has been completed on upgrades at the intersection of Princes Highway and The Boulevarde, Kirrawee.
To find out more, view or download the December end of work community notification (PDF, 532Kb).
The Princes Highway is one of Sydney's most important arterial roads. It forms part of the A1 road corridor connecting southern Sydney with the Illawarra and the NSW south coast. It provides access to major roads including the M5 South Western and M5 East motorways, King Georges Road (A3), Princes Highway (A36) linking to the Sydney CBD and M1 Pacific Motorway.
Every weekday, as many as 80,000 vehicles travel through the intersection of Princes Highway and The Boulevarde, Kirrawee. Vehicles turning left from Princes Highway to head east on The Boulevarde, and vehicles turning right from The Boulevarde to head north on Princes Highway, can experience considerable delays due to congestion.
In 2017, Transport for NSW called for public comment on a proposal to upgrade the intersection, which involves widening the roadway to create additional lanes, lengthening a vital slip lane and improving pedestrian safety. Click here to view or download the consultation report (PDF, 2.34Mb), which includes public comment and responses from Transport for NSW.
The project involves:
- widening the north-eastern and south-eastern sides of the intersection to accommodate two right turn lanes from The Boulevarde onto Princes Highway, northbound
- widening the northern side of the intersection to accommodate an extended merge lane on Princes Highway, northbound
- extending the left slip lane from Princes Highway onto The Boulevarde, eastbound
- closing the Princes Highway service road to through traffic onto The Boulevarde
- constructing a traffic island to improve pedestrian safety and to separate traffic turning left and right from The Boulevarde onto Princes Highway
- relocating utilities, removing trees and shrubs, installing new pavement and kerbs, asphalting and line markings
- helping reduce congestion and improve journey times along the length of the Princes Highway corridor
- improving the intersection’s efficiency
- helping reduce the number collisions involving vehicles and pedestrians
In 2017, Transport for NSW (then Roads and Maritime Services) called for public comment on the proposed upgrade.
Three community information sessions during the consultation period gave the public the opportunity to talk the project team and get answers to their questions and more information about the upgrade.
Click here to view or download the consultation report (PDF, 73.7Kb), which includes public comment and the Transport for NSW responses.
View or download the advance notification (PDF, 393Kb) for the project distributed in early 2020.
Some documents on this page may not comply with accessibility requirements (WCAG).
If you are having trouble accessing information in these documents, please contact us.
- December 2020
Princes Highway and The Boulevarde, Kirrawee - End of work.
- March 2020 start of work notification
Princes Highway and The Boulevarde, Kirrawee - Start of work.
- March 2020 advance notification
Princes Highway and The Boulevarde, Kirrawee - Work begins.
- September 2017 community update
- May 2017 community update
Have your say on proposed intersection improvements on Princes Highway and clearways on Old Princes Highway, River Road and Bangor Bypass.
- July 2017 community consultation report
Proposed intersection improvements at Princes Highway and The Boulevarde, Kirrawee.
For further information about this project, please contact:
Phone:1800 677 700